Nova 1624-44 A Big Disapointment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,
It is interesting to hear from Ern, about his Nova DVR. I see the vertical alignment was out on his as well. It is not good enough on a lathe costing around £1700.00. Where is this precise laser alignment? My first 1624 was about 1mm out in the vertical, you could align it nearer than that by eye. So, either their laser is no good or they don't know how to use it.

I steered away from the DVR because I didn't like the controls and electronics, well I am always wary. OK until it goes wrong, which eventually it will (as soon as the guarantee runs out), and it will probably cost a fortune to repair.

Getting back to my brand spanking new replacement 1624 tractor, here are some video clips of it in action. Video 106 is the best. I was actually hoping it would disitegrate in front of me, so I could send the video to "You've Been Framed" and get 250 quid for it:

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e153/ ... V00106.flv
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e153/ ... V00103.flv

You should be able to play these with Media Player or if not, download VLC player - it's free.

BTW, I have solved the problem and will update you later.

Graham

That's gross, as the kids would say.

I've had 3 belt driven lathes and even the cheap Taiwanese job was quieter than that.

One thing that I will say about the DVR XP is that electronic failure has only been reported once in webland from memory and the power delivery is great and the driveline very smooth. On a belt driven lathe you can thread the chuck onto the spindle against the resistance of the driveline; on the DVR you have to hold the handwheel.

Graham, good to hear you've solved the problem.

But at that money of course you shouldn't have to.

have recently got one of these

the motor mount needed minor adjustment and the headstock cover screws needed some washers ,tailstock needed alignment as well.
but that was it

the rattling might be due to the the motor alignment - not running true pulley to pulley (motor to headstock)

Hi All,
Sorry, I should have kept you guys up to date. Anyway, here's what happened:
In essence, the horrendous noise was caused by the spindle drive pulley coming loose and chattering against the the key. The pulley is keyed onto the shaft and secured by a grub screw.

In my opinion, it is all down to design. The motor is held onto the headstock by just two bolts, or rather studs with locking nuts fitted. This is a lot of weight for two fixings. Worse, one cannot screw the motor up really tight otherwise one cannot then pivot the motor forward for belt
changing. So, security is all down to the nuts actually locking, as the motor has to be able to pivot. On my first lathe, the nuts kept coming loose and likewise on my second (replacement), lathe.

The nuts come loose gradually and you only realise when the motor starts to really rattle and vibrate. This of course throws the motor pully out of line, wears the belt and somehow, caused the main drive shaft pulley to work loose. Also, the shaft pulley was slightly out of alignment when I got the lathe. When I looked through those little windows, to see the speed setting, the belt would appear half in one window, half in another, making it difficult to determine the speed setting.

The nuts supplied were Simmons Head nuts and were useless in that they didn't lock properly.

Well, Record Power sent me a new pulley, key and some locking nuts. The new nuts were Nyloc Nuts and these work fine, no problems at all. I also got a new belt for free.

I have been using the lathe these past few weeks and hey, I am quite happy. It is not the quietest lathe in the world and never will be because there is a certain amount of vibration and noise coming from the motor. It was the same on my first Nova, so they are all the same. But so what,
it is a lathe and the sound levels are reasonable. Incidentally, the Super Nova 2 chuck rattles like hell on slow speeds, OK on fast speeds but, it is a good chuck.

Am I happy? Well, I was until tonight: I was end drilling a spindle, winding the tailstock handle to advance the drill bit slowly and suddenly, nothing was happening. The drill and chuck were stationary. Then I realised that the horse shoe shaped circlip, used to secure tailstock shaft inside the housing, had come out. "What the bloody hell?" Anyway, I stopped the lathe, pushed the clip back in, two turns later, out it popped again. And so on. In the end, the only way that I could complete the work was to turn the handle with one hand whilst using a screwdriver to push the circlip down into the slot, with the other. Great!

Here we go again.

Record Power have a show on this weekend at Cressing, about 15 miles from me, so I shall pop down there and see them. They won't have such a part at the show, but just maybe, they will take one out of one of the show lathes. I really need to use the lathe over the weekend.

Do I like my Nova? Actually yes. Well, I am not really into woodturning. I bought the lathe because I had an idea. An idea that would make me some money on Ebay and, it has. In the few weeks that I have had it, I have made around £1500.00. So already it has more than paid for itself.

And Record Power, well I can't fault them. Their service has been exceptional. Recently, I rang them to order an 8 inch tool rest costing around £25.00. They gave it to me for free, because I have had trouble with the lathe.

I will keep you posted...
Graham.

The circlip "keeper" is supposed to be retained by a cleverly hidden allen head grub screw. If you look at the tailstock handwheel you should see a small hole in the disk. If you rotate the handwheel so that the hole is at the 12 o'clock position it should align with a small hole in the tailstock casting. Probing into the hole with a small allen key should allow you to tighten up the grub screw to retain your circlip.

Don't know the size of the allen key required off the top of my head. :)

Good Luck!
Bob

Graham

If you are still not happy with the second lathe send it back for a FULL REFUND

Its a hobby for turning wood , not for fettleing machines

All the lathes I have owned work as they should and only require some cleaning out of shavings and dust

Not remounting pulleys, belts , motor fixings, tail stock repairs

You must be a saint , I would have lost my rag by now :twisted:

Back it and get something else :wink:

Thanks Bobham.
I feel a bit of a . now. I did indeed nip down to the European Woodwork show at Cressing today and spoke to a Record guy who explained about the grub screw. So, I fixed the problem earlier today.

Hey, this woodwork show, they wanted to charge me to get in, £7.00. I said, "you gotta be joking. I only want to see Record for advice/spares."
They let me in without paying. Told me hurry up or they would come looking for me.
Bloody cheek! I had a good look around and my thoughts were, ' 7 quid, just for this'. It was just a market. Companies selling woodworking machines, bits of wood at extortionate prices, hand tools, woodcarving tools and a couple of blokes with lathes doing bowl turing demos. Oh and a couple of vans selling hot dogs and samosas etc.

Why should you have to pay for that? It is like being charged to go into Tescos. They are making money out of their sales. The venue organisers are charging the stallholders, why should the public pay?

The place was packed. There were hundreds of people. What did strike me was that I was probably the youngest one there, and I am 57. Are there any young woodturners? I wonder. Old men like wood, young men like women. Me, well I am at the crossroads. I could still take the turn for the women or, the one for the wood. C'mon guys, give me some advice, which way should I turn? Left women, right wood. Mmm, it's a hard choice.

Talking of wood, what a rip-off at that show. A 12 inch long, 1 inch square bit of Ash, £2.75 and that was about the cheapest piece of wood they had. I picked up a bit of African ebony and nearly fainted at the price. There was a mahogany board, about 24 inches long, 8 inches wide; 1 1/2 inches thick, 35 quid - I bought a piece like this a couple of weeks ago, a fiver. I get my wood from a hardwood merchant just down the road. All offcuts and as cheap as chips.

Incidentally, there were no Nova 1624's at the show. I wonder why?
Anyway, my lathe is working OK again. Thanks for the advice and sympathy.

Graham.

My opinion for what it's worth Graham, at this stage of the saga,would be for you to take the left turn.
You have found fault with everything to do with woodturning,
You have had two lathes which you have been complaining about for some time now,and you from an engineering back ground failed to assemble properly IMO.
You go to a woodworking show which i'm sure was not organised just for you to have a go at Record Power,and complain because you have to pay in.
Then you find that everything is not to your satisfaction,if you want something you have to pay money for it, the cheek of them.
So I think you should pursue the Women angle.
I'm sure that they will soon get fed up with your whinging, as I am now.
Apoligise to other members of the forum, and if the Mod's find it over the top ,do as you will with it.
Eugene Malone= Boysie 39.

Well I for one enjoyed the Cressing Temple show and didn't mind paying £6 (advance ticket price) for what is effectively a day's entertainment and learning experience.
I found all the businesses represented by friendly, cooperative people and had good chats with Record, Sorby, Chestnut and many others.

As for the prices, I bought a Patriot chuck at a show discount, which more than covered my entrance fee. I was able to get some timbers that I'd never used at what I felt were not unreasonable prices considering how far they had come (the local ebony and african blackwood crop in Hertfordshire failed this year... :) )

I spoke with quite a few 'young' turners and don't think that Mark Hancock or Mark Baker would be too happy at being considered over 57!

All in all I think I agree with Boysie on this one. I'd find something else to occupy your time before you get any older.

wyngate":38bzzccm said:
Hey, this woodwork show, they wanted to charge me to get in, £7.00. I said, "you gotta be joking. I only want to see Record for advice/spares."
They let me in without paying. Told me hurry up or they would come looking for me.
Bloody cheek! I had a good look around

Graham.

You think the organizers of this event have a cheek :?: :shock: :shock:

They are civilised enough to let you into their event, (which was well publicized with the admission charges) for free, on the proviso that you do what you have come to do then leave. You then take your time looking around the event, come on this forum & slag them & the event off, & still think THEY have a cheek. :shock: :shock:

I`m afraid i`m in agreement with Boysie & Roy.[/b]

Well said boysie, roy and doug. You also had my intrest and sympathy graham for what its worth, but blew it on the last post. Never mind there`s always knitting.

Come on chaps you are being a bit harsh!

This guy has never done any turning until a few weeks ago - has used nothing but a sub-standard lathe AND has already made a profit of £1500 from an idea he has had.

Genius in my book :wink:

Wyngate, I was at the show on Saturday which means you certainly wasn't the youngest person there (at nearly double my age). There are plenty of young turners. In fact, I think the whole group of forum members that I met at the show were all younger than you. To be fair your last post showed you up to be the typical old fart you find at woodworking shows who walk around moaning at everything. "eeh, wasn't like that in my day", etc etc :roll:

As expressed elsewhere on this forum, I found this to be one of the best shows I've attended in the last 6yrs. We was there from 10:30am til they were kicking us out at nearly 7pm.

When I was queuing up for my lunch on Saturday, some ar$ehole in front of me was arguing over paying 20p for an extra container to share out his food with his missus. Wasn't you was it?

The guy running the show is a great tower of a man who's handshake can put you in A&E, you were lucky they didn't come looking for you. I strongly suggest you don't try that trick again.

Instead of turning left or right, why don't you turn round and go back the other way?

Jim I was referring to you when I was talking about 'typical old farts' :D

lurker":2se37jos said:
Now now Wizer [-X

No one says rude things to you when they think you are being a silly sod :lol:

yes we do - who was it who told him he was a "cantankerous slap headed back whinger" ? :D and that was one of the nicer things thats been said ;)

big soft moose":3a9ncopj said:
lurker":3a9ncopj said:
Now now Wizer [-X

No one says rude things to you when they think you are being a silly sod :lol:

yes we do - who was it who told him he was a "cantankerous slap headed back whinger" ? :D and that was one of the nicer things thats been said ;)

BSM, I thought all my posts on this particular thread were so loaded with irony you could hear it rattling & clanking down there in the deep south.

Back