Notre Dame

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trevanion":3l10ixip said:
A couple of boys and a biggish step ladder and it shouldn't take too long.

Biggish should do it!

Apparently the mass of medieval beams were referred to as 'la foret', though i also heard that its been built and rebuilt and extended a few times over the last 850 years... there was also talk of this being an opportunity to do something new with it rather than just try and replicate 18th and 19th century work, bet thatll be an interesting debate

Mr_Pea":2ogakan3 said:
Looks like fund raising isn't going to be an issue and thanks to recent 3d scans it could be re-built almost perfectly.

Not quite the 3d scans, although I suspect that the information is held by the people who did all this.
http://mappinggothic.org/building/1164#/
There are some stunning 360deg panoramas which show tremendous detail.
xy

Sorry can't do links yet but if you search for "Andrew Tallon Notre Dame" you should find them.

In 2015 the late architect Andrew Tallon -- who died last year of brain cancer at the age of 49 -- successfully and painstakingly captured every detail of Paris' Notre Dame cathedral by employing a mix of laser technology and digital photography.

Using more than 1 billion points of data Tallon was able to bring the cathedral to life in what is the most accurate rendering of the building ever made.

Mr_Pea":255aenjz said:
Sorry can't do links yet but if you search for "Andrew Tallon Notre Dame" you should find them.

In 2015 the late architect Andrew Tallon -- who died last year of brain cancer at the age of 49 -- successfully and painstakingly captured every detail of Paris' Notre Dame cathedral by employing a mix of laser technology and digital photography.

Using more than 1 billion points of data Tallon was able to bring the cathedral to life in what is the most accurate rendering of the building ever made.
I believe the link I posted above is either his work or heavily based upon it.
xy

I’m torn between being saddened by the damage caused and wondering why this outpouring of support from around the world doesn’t stretch to other acts of destruction.

It does also give me pause that within hours two wealthy businessmen can collectively donate €300m. Again, where is this generosity when it is (arguably) needed more?

I dunno man.

El Barto":2qxo7n0b said:
I’m torn between being saddened by the damage caused and wondering why this outpouring of support from around the world doesn’t stretch to other acts of destruction.

It does also give me pause that within hours two wealthy businessmen can collectively donate €300m. Again, where is this generosity when it is (arguably) needed more?

I dunno man.

That's an interesting perspective and could be an excellent question for the Moral Maze! On the one hand you have the possibility of tangible and obvious benefits such as sanitation and running water for some African village. And on the other you still have tangible benefits but equally intangible benefits that are impossible to measure or even define.

In a similar vein, me and the missus had been having discussion about the environment protestors in London, that they weren't doing anyone any favours, inconveniencing many people, missing vital hospital appointments etc. Then perchance we were watching Gogglebox and saw a clip from Our Planet with the walruses plummeting to their deaths and were dumbstruck. Partly at our own incomprehension of the sheer magnitude of the effects that climate change is having on the planet. And that maybe, just maybe, those protestors had a point.

RogerS":12przzqy said:
doctor Bob":12przzqy said:
Terrible shame, I reckon that is a 20 year project.

Mais non ! Monsieur Macron assures us that it will only take five years ! My money is on your timescale, Bob.

Politicians the world over are always making pronouncements like this, but they don't have a track record of seeing them through to reality.

On the six o clock news tonight it was announced that a competition to how it will be rebuilt is taking place.
Could we see it with a shard type tower or a roof like selfridges (brum)

Surely the only way is how it was
Ian

Chris152":qptw8mu6 said:
........The bloke who was being interviewed suggested that any block-work that would need re-making would be cut by robots............

They've cut something like 70 years of the estimated completion time for La Segrada Familia in Barcelona by introducing CNC stone cutting. It's now thought to be likely finished around 2030, rather than 2100.

flh801978":3jifgj1e said:
On the six o clock news tonight it was announced that a competition to how it will be rebuilt is taking place.
Could we see it with a shard type tower or a roof like selfridges (brum)

Surely the only way is how it was
Ian

No, the competition is only for the spire, not the whole re-build. The spire was only added in the 19th century anyway, so was actually modern. I doubt you'll find anything out of keeping winning such a competition, and in fact I'd be surprised if a direct copy of the old one wasn't one of the finalists in said competition.

I hope they restore it sympathetically meaning original joinery methods, using entirely hand tools, even if it's not practical, modernising it could easily ruin it.

crooked spire.jpg

I think they should style it on the Chesterfield Crooked Spire and maybe even twin the towns afterwards :D

Attachments

• crooked spire.jpg
    crooked spire.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 206
Back