Notes/Comments - Duffield Timber @ Ripon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
This information has come directly from Duffields: -

Are you hobby friendly?

As of 19th September 2017 we opened a Joinery & Woodworking centre open to both trade customers and the public.

Can you self-select or is it by appointment?

Within the shop area there is no need to book an appointment and it is a self-select your own timber.

Will you deliver?

In some cases we can deliver, delivery prices depend on quantity, length and the value of the order.

Do you have online ordering?

We don’t have an online shop at this moment. However I myself am always willing to help over the phone or email.

Are prices displayed at the yard?

Every board in the shop area is barcoded and priced. These labels also display the dimensions and the volume of each individual board.

Do you sell domestic hardwoods?

The majority of our hardwoods are imported from the USA, Africa and Europe. We do however stock English Sycamore some large English Elm slabs and some English Oak Burr slabs. Domestic hardwoods is something we are starting to look into a little more, especially sisnce we have opened the new store.

Do you sell other hardwoods?

Here is a list of all the species that we currently stock in the shop. All our stock is kiln dried unless stated otherwise.

USA Ash - boards
USA Cherry – boards & blanks
USA Red Elm - boards & blanks
USA Hard Maple - boards & blanks
USA Oak - boards
Tulipwood - boards & blanks
USA Black Walnut - boards & blanks
EU Ash - boards & blanks
Eu St Beech – boards, blanks & squares
Eu Oak A Grade - boards & blanks
Eu Oak B Grade – boards
African Sapele - boards & blanks
African Utile – boards
African Iroko - boards & blanks

Waney Edge Bubinga – HUGE Slabs!!
Waney Edge Lime – boards
Waney Edge Sycamore – boards
Waney Edge USA Black Walnut – boards
Waney Edge USA Cherry (FIGURED & PIPPY) – boards
Waney Edge English Elm – boards (7+ Years Air Dried)
Waney Edge English Oak Burrs – boards & small pieces (Air Dried, the slabs shall be ready close to the start of next year)

Padauk - boards & blanks
Purpleheart - boards & blanks
Wenge - boards & blanks
Zebrano - boards & blanks
Brown Oak – boards
Teak – Dimensioned Strips (32 x 115 2-2.5m lengths)
EU Pippy Oak – boards

Figured boards:
Ambrosia Soft Maple - boards
Curly Soft Maple - boards
Curly Hard Maple - boards
Birds Eye Maple - boards
Curly Cherry - boards
Curly Walnut - boards
Rustic Hickory - boards
Rustic Hard Maple – boards

Green Oak – beams, mantlepieces etc

Exotic Turning blanks:
African Blackwood
Wild Olive
Mopani
Pink Ivory
Bhera (Similar to a Sri Lankan satinwood)
Spalted Bubinga
Banksia Nuts
Grass Tree Roots

Do you sell softwoods?

We only stock a select few Softwoods:
Western Red Cedar – boards
Douglas Fir – boards
Siberian Larch - boards

Do you sell manufactured boards?

No.

Do you sell turning blanks?

Yes, species listed above.

Are you a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard?

Our site covers a 7 acre site and we employ over 40 people. The site staff consists of 6 members. The yard is large and is mostly used for bulk and trade sales. We do have a totally renovated warehouse for self selecting timber open to the public though.

Will you cut to length to fit into a vehicle?

We have a cross cut saw located next the shop counter and we are more than happy to cross cut boards so that they will fit into a car. Our cross cutting service is not a service where we can cut to exact measurements or for cutting a large amount of boards.

The service is only to help the public fit items into their cars.

Do you have any comments that you want to add?

We also stock skirtings architraves and other various profiled items. These are mostly stocked in both Oak and a paint grade hardwood (mostly Tulipwood). Cladding and decking is another range of products that we stock on site.

We also have a large amount of clearance items. This has proven to be very popular with the public as they can pick up a very good deal. Pieces can range from 50p to £25, we also carry sales bundles and packs.

Everyone can keep up with our shop on social media we have Facebook, Instagram & Twitter accounts.

Went there a few weeks ago and would answer as follows

Are they hobby friendly? - yes

Can you self-select or is it by appointment? - self select is possible

Will they deliver? Yes

Do they have online ordering? Not sure

Are prices displayed at the yard? - yes

Do they sell domestic hardwoods? - yes

Do they sell other hardwoods? - yes

Do they sell softwoods? - yes

Do they sell manufactured boards? Don't think so

Do they sell turning blanks? - didn't see any

Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard? - large yard

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle? - yes

Do you have any comments to make? Very large traditional timber yard. Recently opened a self selection area aimed at DIY and small trade. Friendly service

Hope this is helpful.

M

I went to Duffields last weekend, here are my views.

Are they hobby friendly? - very - I'm a complete noob and Simon who was there was very patient and helpful.

Can you self-select or is it by appointment? - self select from racks ofhardwood - each board is labelled, sized and priced (but excluding VAT)

Will they deliver? N/A

Do they have online ordering? I dont think so

Are prices displayed at the yard? - yes

Do they sell domestic hardwoods? - yes

Do they sell other hardwoods? - yes

Do they sell softwoods? - I didn't see much

Do they sell manufactured boards? A few small boards in the shop area.

Do they sell turning blanks? - Yes there was a limited amount in the shop

Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard? - large yard

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle? - yes

Do you have any comments to make? I found the prices very competitive, the service very friendly and helpful. The best compiment i can give them is that i will be back and a regular customer - even though it is 100 miles plus round trip for me.

Also they have a large selection of offcuts from £1 - £3 per kilo. I picked up quite a bit of ABW at a very cheap price.

I've just had another visit here and had a little different experience (in a good way).

Last time I called in, I was after some Beech. It was a Saturday morning and only 1 or 2 people were working - yard was closed. They have stopped putting any significant amount of beech in the retail area. So on attending today (after a visit to the Harrogate show), I was very pleasantly surprised with the service I got from Al.

I wanted 3 boards of beech, ideally >250mm wide. None were in the retail area, so Al took me down the yard, let me select a pallet of beech with a few wide boards in, fetched the pallet back to the retail area, let me select which boards I wanted, cut them to length to fit in my car and was an absolute pleasure to deal with. Exemplary service. Total cost for 0.048m cubed was £30 + vat. I did buy a load of other stuff (they've got some great PAR pippy oak on offer ATM) so spent over £100

I appreciate that with limited staff in on a Saturday, Duffields could not offer this level of service, but on a weekday they have excelled for me today. It's this level of service why I drive over 110 miles round trip to their wood yard.

Back