Not very often....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
I actually get in the workshop and make shavings like this :lol:

I clamped up some ash before going off to the Tools 2004 show, ready for my return....

medium.jpg

I gave the blade on my smoother a quick fettle, then off I went....

medium.jpg

Even the scraper got some action. I find these a bit of a pain, the heat generated, and the force on your thumbs makes them quite uncomfortable. Still, it's often the right tool for the job.

medium.jpg

Here the boards are ready for the next stage. This is going to be a cabinet to sit under the TV, with the DVD/Video/Playstation in it.

medium.jpg

Just imagine removing that much with a sander :shock:

medium.jpg

Adam

[Edited to reduce image size]

Nah, I think those are all old gloats - apart from the obvious did-something-in-the-workshop one, which trumps all others anyway.
biggrin.gif
Talk about planning ahead. I'm impressed, and not a little jealous. Have you tried any of the thumb-saving dodges for the scraper? Might be worth a go if you haven't.

Cheers, Alf

Who had time to go to the workshop and make a start on a birthday present for the old man* while waiting for the pictures to load...
ermmm.gif
tounge.gif

*On Friday <gulp>. Could be worse. Could have been last Friday...

waterhead37":38clabth said:
What is he going to get for the birthday then - have you actually thought of something you can make in 5 days? :shock:
Surprise, surprise - it's a box (thank goodness for that FWW article, eh?). I think I can make it in 5 days, but getting the finishing done satisfactorily may be a bit tight. Still the glue-up is all done, so I have confidence...
ph34r.gif

boxprogress.jpg

Cheers, Alf

WHAT??????

I thought the LN chisels were too many£££???

I can understand the need to make summat! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS Well done girl - you won't regret them.

Oh Alf,
I can't believe you jumped on the L-N chisel bandwagon........
I picked mine up today :roll: :oops:
pathetically,
Philly :D

Waterhead":1ldjfloz said:
Failing memory prevents me from knowing if this is just a Tools 2004 LN gloat!

Unfortunately not :cry: I'm out of cash at the moment. The price of having a break between jobs.

Alf":1ldjfloz said:
Have you tried any of the thumb-saving dodges for the scraper? Might be worth a go if you haven't....

Such as?

Alf":1ldjfloz said:
Who had time to go to the workshop and make a start on a birthday present for the old man* while waiting for the pictures to load

Cheeky.

Adam

Where's everyone getting the LN chisels from? I fancy booking into the clinic and ordering some

I can confirm the LN chisels are excellent 8) Sadly I didnt come away with them. It was a choice between them and a No.5. I'm hoping to get my hands on the chisels again after christmas.

I spent a few hours with Charley today-Fear not, I nudged him over the edge while he was looking the other way! :lol: :lol:
Chris,
Obviously the only purchase I made was the L-N chisels.

Sorry, and the Lamello.
and some other bits.........

Book me into the Clinic,

waterhead37":3fyb5ru7 said:
WHAT??????

I thought the LN chisels were too many£££???
They still are. I'm now up to the eyeballs in debt as far as my tool budget goes.
cry.gif
But I just couldn't leave without them. No excuses, no justification - simply honest-to-goodness tool desire, I'm afraid.
blush2.gif

Yeah, it'll have brass pins through the joint when it's done. Like this one. Except this is square (obviously). I'm in two minds whether to round the top over on two edges like the original, or round all four edges instead. Any opinions welcomed.

Philly, I tell you what, I won't call you a pathetic tool c*ll*ct*r if you won't call me one.
rolleyes.gif
(Lamello? Oooo, fancy. Good deal?)

Scraper dodges... e.g. plasters on the thumbs, the cut off thumbs from some leather gloves, those fridge magnets that are a flexible sheet (hopefully you know the sort I mean
unsure.gif
), or a scraper holder. I think there may be another one, but I can't think what it is atm.

So Charley, one of Footprint's finest I take it?

waterhead37":3fyb5ru7 said:
I'm not sure if I am in an exclusive club or a clinic for tools anonymous!
An exclusive clinic...?

Cheers, Alf

P.S. My damp string of a connection thanks you btw, Adam
smile.gif

Alf,
Lets have a co**ector truce?! :D
Lamello was sold to me by the softly spoken gent John Lloyd-what a nice chap! £236 and a 1000 free biscuits. Its the classic C2-I'm going out to the workshop for a play in a minute!
Those chisels sure are pretty! Did you see the long paring style handle that DC made up for his?
cheers

Philly":1nbgxfyg said:
Lets have a co**ector truce?! :D
Ah, go on then. For the moment.
innocent.gif

Lamello was sold to me by the softly spoken gent John Lloyd-what a nice chap! £236 and a 1000 free biscuits. Its the classic C2-I'm going out to the workshop for a play in a minute!
Cool.

Those chisels sure are pretty! Did you see the long paring style handle that DC made up for his?
I did. Made me realise just how short the chisels are - it looked very like the Japanese parers I thought. He was wondering if the handle might come loose with it not being struck with a hammer regularly, but I made free with my opinion that it wouldn't. Hmm, me and my big mouth... Shock use of L-N chisel goes to the man himself. I was drooling over them on the stand for the 127th time trying to make up my mind when a hand reached out and grabbed one from the roll. I was all alert for chisel thieves but it was T L-N needing something sharp to open a box of books. Yes, he used it to slice throught the parcel tape.
eek.gif
Wish I'd thought to offer him a trade for a Stanley knife at the time and not 3 hours later...
laugh.gif

Cheers, Alf

Alf,
What type Stanley was it-Oop's slipping, slipping..... :roll:
DC was very accomodating. Spent ages there annoying Him and picking his brains. And playing with his toys, of course!
Also spent a while chatting with David Free-really friendly guy and down to earth.
Came away with a larger set of waterstones-My current ones are only 50mm wide-no good for the wider plane irons...... (Thats my excuse and i'm sticking with it!)
cheers

Philly

How could you go for the lamelloafter seeing the PC, shame on you.

Glad you managed to get the chesils, I have to agree very nice set and nice to work with. did you get a chance to try the mortice chesils they had there?
Practicing on the Gossman dovetail method tomorrow, I'll let you know how I get on.

Waka,
Sorry Mate-the Lamello won me over in the end........

The chisels are beautiful-will be having a mega sharpening session tomorrow!
Let us know how you get on with the dovetails-Rob is an inspiration, isn't he!
best regards

Back