Not the original plan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I'd continue with lathe practice and make another bowl, well that was the plan.

Surely I'm not the only one who's plans change midway through a project?

Things were going very well until I started to get a bit ambitious, it was at this point that I kept catching the tool resulting in bits of wood flying around the workshop. I had my suit of armour on so I was ok.

Its at this point where a well earned break is required and a re-think on what the final piece is going to be. The end result was a candle holder.

August-05-042.jpg

The wood is Pau Amarillo and the finish is sanding sealer and bees wax.

August-05-043.jpg

My next project is going to be a plate with starting dimensions if 11", it will probably end up the size of a side plate.

Well as they say practice makes perfect.

Waka,

Nicely recovered. :D

Bit of a drive by going on there. :tool:
You have spent too much time under the influence of Philly. :wink:

Drive-by? I feel like someone's parked on my face... :roll: :lol:

Watch out, Waka, you might be getting the bug. :shock: Very nice result.

Cheers, Alf

Waka":3dax8yys said:
...snip..
My next project is going to be a plate with starting dimensions if 11", it will probably end up the size of a side plate.

You do not have to be so honest Waka we won't know.

Looks like you have "seen the light" as far a Turning is concerned anyway. Nice one.

Word of caution if the next project is a Thin Plate: do not let to much time elapse between finishing both sides of plate. Try and work it all in one session if possible, if not you may come back to it next time to find that it is a different shape to how you left it as the tensions/moisture changes take effect. In fact you will probably see it moving whilst you are working on the second side especially if you impart any heat during sanding.

Just my experience to date, can't see it being much difference unless the wood is very dry.

DaveL":3x42l50x said:
Bit of a drive by going on there. :tool:
:

Alf":3x42l50x said:
Drive-by? I feel like someone's parked on my face...

Don't know what you mean, if showing a candle holder is a drive by, what will you call it when I show my plate?

CHJ, Ihad heard that it shouldn't be left over night but rather make it in one go, looks like I'll have to get up really early.

Latest posts

Back