Not sure what to do with this burl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
I found this a few days ago whilst cutting firewood, it’s black poplar. What might I do with it? How do I ensure it doesn’t degrade?

Attachments

• C6CC693F-2FD0-4F4C-AB2E-5F6DA0CA6BBF.jpeg
    C6CC693F-2FD0-4F4C-AB2E-5F6DA0CA6BBF.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 5C04E0C7-FC5B-48A9-B608-3D0D11CE3303.jpeg
    5C04E0C7-FC5B-48A9-B608-3D0D11CE3303.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 65
Difficult to get an idea of size from the photos so I cant really say what to do with it but sealing the cut surfaces with a couple of coats of PVA would be my course of action to prevent too rapid drying.

Seal it and then leave it to slowly air dry. May tack a couple of years. Then either slice it up into leaves for veneering boxes or turn into a nice vase etc

And whilst you are waiting for it to dry out a bit, don’t keep it in your workshop as you will probably find its full of woodworm.
The burrs are usually cut off before the rest of the wood goes into the kiln and so the woodworm aren’t killed by the heat. Perhaps treat it now?
I have always called them burrs is burl the American way of saying it?
This is one I made for purely decorative purposes a few years ago.
9C86F094-F667-43F4-A6FD-48475D779C0D.jpeg
F2F79439-A4EA-4D03-A386-D39D4F841610.jpeg

Very nice. How did you get the bark off? Is it stabilised in any way or just dried?
You are probably right about burl being American, I'm in Italy and I follow a FB page of exotic timbers, most say burl, not burr.

If you have a lathe you can turn something really special. I have just started on a seasoned Birch burr today (I was given 6). I used a forstener to get a flat, then used a drive centre and Tailstock. I've just bought a pressure vessel and intend to try epoxy with it, then hopefully it'll all come good when I finish it.

Here's one I made earlier.
birch.jpg

Attachments

• birch (Copy).jpg
    birch (Copy).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
Here in Australia it's burl as well but I can cope with either name. Sometimes the bark comes off in one bit when it has dried out and others you have to carefully pick it off. You can also clean up the wrinkley outside with a pressure washer if you intend keeping that as a feature. As to what to do with it is up to individual taste but turning is the most common. I usually keep an eye for them. Latest one waiting to dry is still being mulled over what to do with as well.
Regards
John

Attachments

• IMG_1613.JPG
    IMG_1613.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 12
Back