Not something iI would normaly do

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thingybob

If it aint broke dont fix it
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Its not something i would do usualy but i have removed all skirting and stripped all the paint off and sanded them back to wood . The reason being replacement would cost £85 and the old wood goes to waste that was for one room , Took me half a day but thats not a problem now im retired . The days of chuck it get new are numbered in my house Upcycle Manor (pity we cant recycle burnt gas and petrol )

Its not something i would do usualy but i have removed all skirting and stripped all the paint off and sanded them back to wood . The reason being replacement would cost £85 and the old wood goes to waste that was for one room , Took me half a day but thats not a problem now im retired . The days of chuck it get new are numbered in my house Upcycle Manor (pity we cant recycle burnt gas and petrol )
I’d wager the quality of the old skirting you’ve removed far exceeds the general quality of replacement skirting, once you remove the multiple layers of paint you effectively have new well seasoned quality timber and the £85 is still in your wallet.

It is good wood not many knots (no pun intended) I do get annoyed when at the tip seeing what people throw away in the name of fashion maybee 1 year old cos its not trending or an influencer has nt pluged it then complain they are struggling for money wake up and realise nobody cares realy what you have got. Just a perseption

Yes it seems the world loves mass produced mdf disguised as teak and oak etc and pay a small fortune for whilst as you say bin the real oak at their local tip cos it’s stained with that really dark 50-60 ,s look yet the beauty of the original wood is just being hidden and with a lot of stripper and elbow grease it can be revealed.

I find if i look at a piece of old furniture i can see what it can be turned into some might look too ornate but with a little alteration it can live in todays world you cant sand mdf and recoat so it ends up on the tip

Back