Not so smart meter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spoke to my sister in NZ - their power companies have what is to my mind a sound idea - they give a free hour's electricity every day, something like 9.00pm to 10.00pm. This is obviously priced in somewhere else but everyone puts their washing machine, dishwasher etc. on at that time, which is when it suits the generators. I would imagine different suppliers have a different hour.

And back to Smart Meters!!

Not only do we live in a 'Signal depression' but our gas meter is very old and in now way could be converted. British Gas tried to change it a few years ago to go in a box outside, but wouldn't put it at the front of the house and realised that if they put it on the side, we would not be able to get to the back garden down our side passage!!

Phil

As a small follow up to my not so smart meter

It still says I have used .19p worth of electricity (I wish)

But the gas usage is going up incrementally each day, rather than from midnight each day, and it still reads the 28th November

Despite my complaints to SSE, I have heard nothing from them at all

Further reason to change supplier I think (not that any of the others are likely to be any better)

treeturner123":igtg59jk said:
Not only do we live in a 'Signal depression'
Not a problem - Water companies already carry fibre optic comms cables in the sewers and such assets can easily take similar lines. Might even be a useful source of revenue...

I read in todays' FT that that useless Quango - Ofgem - has refused to provide a list as to which companies are in the scheme that allows easy switching whilst keeping the smart meter function operational.

As a follow up

My original enquiry had an auto reply on screen saying they would answer in two working days, then I received a follow up auto reply email stating six working days

And about 18 days later I got a phone call, she arranged for an engineer to come out, I said I would like them removing

Engineer called this morning, job sheet said replace smart meter so I asked him to take them out which he did after a lengthy delay on the phone to break the contact

So I am now back to thick meters, much better

Back