Not seen one like this before.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a trip to the Essex Country Show at Barleylands Farm Centre, the main reason for going was to see Jeremy my clog maker, but while getting my £9's worth of wandering about I found this:
Dscn3752s.jpg
Dscn3753s.jpg

Now I know that this was not going to be to Wadkin standard, but for a bit of 1916 kit it did lots of things. :D
The chap was keen to start the 1 1/2 HP petrol engine, it took 3 swings. 8)
Dscn3755s.jpg

It was a good job the HSE were not around as the belt was slipped on once the engine was purring sweetly. 8-[
Dscn3751s.jpg

The whole setup was very quiet, even with what looked like the chains from 3 bikes under the table.

Sad to say my eye was drawn to the engine and not the saw :shock:

I think it is a Lister

Bean

WWAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!! CCCCOOOOOLLLLLLL !!!
Love that old engine and tool stuff.. We have shows around here occasionally I think it would be neat to have a shop full of all those old tools and line belts snapping and running. Amish still have that

Well here are some more pictures, for Slim. :D
Dscn3730s.jpg

Note this would help to solve the unemployment problems, a four man team are require to rip logs. :shock:
Dscn3734s.jpg

The division of labour looks about right. (hammer)
Dscn3737s.jpg

This chap had everything under control, hot drinks were brought to him on a regular time table. =D>
The engine is a half size model, built in the USA!
Dscn3736s.jpg

Looks not dissimilar to the one advertised in the 1935 Buck & Hickman catalogue, which appears to be a "Zyto" - Tyzack's brand name for their machines. For you're amusement, the sales pitch:
High Speed Treadle Saw Bench

This is a superior Machine of rugged construction, having an Extra Heavy Frame, Flywheel and Treadle. Self-aligning Ball Bearings and extension for Sand Disc or Pulley for power drive.

Supplied complete with 14 in. diam. Saw, Canting Fence with fine adjustment, swivelling Mitre Fence and Dead-length Gauge.

Price £13 10 0
Chuck, if required, 7/6 extra
Personally I wouldn't fancy treadling a 14" saw blade... :shock: They made 'em to last though, didn't they? Nearly 90 years and still working - and with a guard!

Cheers, Alf

Where is the one that grinds the corn bread ???? :lol: :lol:

I actually worked with one of them when I was crumb cruncher. Grandpa would bring it in with a threshing machine. I still can here that thing rumble down the road. My job was to get in the way and ask as many questions as possible. Dang!! them were good ole days. ANd we LIKED it

Back