Not just another table saw thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Karacsonyi

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As part of my workshop downsize, I am looking for a small footprint table saw. This is something which will be bench mounted, so more or less static. Accuracy is my number one concern, as I am making the transition into box making, so mitres etc, need to be pretty much spot on. I appreciate I will be going into the world of sled creation. I have seen a number of the threads on the forum, none of the questions or answers quite cover what I am looking for.

Any recommendations or products to avoid, will be appreciated. My number one debate is tabletop. Cast vs. Alloy, I have only ever worked with cast before. Cabinet saws, plus my bandsaw.

How small? Have you considered Bridge City's Jointmaker Pro (JMPv2)? Effectively a human powered tablesaw. They had a flash sale last weekend where the saw and precision fence system were both available at half price. Looks like there's still a 40% discount ATM. If the idea of working very quietly (and precisely) appeals then this could be a good option. Only drawback is that the capacity is small - max crosscut width of 150mm. But for boxes and picture frames and the like it might be ideal.

Could you just unbolt the wings off a larger proper cabinet saw to make the top smaller?

My Laguna Fusion 3 has 2 cast wings on it that can be unbolted that would make the top really very narrow

I've had good service from my Charnwood W619 - it's an 8" blade so limited cut depth, but otherwise fairly well featured - cast top, T-slots, sliding carriage etc. It's a very small footprint, and quite short when removed from the plinth. Mine happens to be for sale as well as I've just upgraded to the 10" version...

Thanks all, after much consideration and research, the Jointmaker Pro (JMPv2) won. Thank you Bojam, you opened up another world to me. Maybe Greta T, May endorse me 😆

As it's from the craft range you will only be able to run it for an hour on a sat and sunday. Axminster craft motors are only rated for 100 hours a year.

Thanks all, after much consideration and research, the Jointmaker Pro (JMPv2) won. Thank you Bojam, you opened up another world to me. Maybe Greta T, May endorse me 😆

Cool (y) I took advantage of the recent sales to get myself one with the precision fence and accessories. We have two young kids and live in a residential area. It's going to be nice to carry on working in the evening without disturbing family and neighbours. Can do any required milling and larger dimensioning with the noisy tools during the day and have time for finer quieter work in the evening.

Did you order from direct from Bridge City in the US or from a UK supplier? Have you received it yet? I've done some calibration and test cuts - pretty impressed. Not started any projects with it yet as I've just taken delivery of a new PT and bandsaw which needed installing (quite a complex operation).

Let me know how you get on with it. Would be cool to share experiences and tips as there's suprisingly little info available online; a few youtube videos, some stuff on the Bridge City (John Economaki's) blog and a few other sites/blogs.

Cheers.

Hi Bojam

I purchased mine from Bridge City Tool Works JMPv2 Jointmaker Pro bij GereedschapPro. Was a lot cheaper than the US, due to postage costs. It arrived last Friday, took a few hours to assemble on the Saturday. I also purchased the KM-1 Kerfmaker and TM-1 Tenonmaker at the same time.

The saw works a treat, the finish on the end grain is phenomenal. Following some test cuts and getting the muscle memory into the push, pull raise blade is now more or less second nature. Following more test cuts, using the Kerfmaker and the tenoning jig, I have never made such tight fitting joints in my life.

Dovetails are a joy to cut too. I think the overall satisfaction is with the health and safety aspect, especially where your not likely to cut any digits off. The dust is easy to pick up with a dustpan and brush too. Overall, very happy with it.

As it's from the craft range you will only be able to run it for an hour on a sat and sunday. Axminster craft motors are only rated for 100 hours a year.
I can't afford enough wood to run my table saw for more than 2 hours at a time, and where the hell would I put it all?! It tends to run for a couple of minutes at a time, then I do something else. I'm not a professional. Thus far I don't feel limited by the "hobby" constraints. I'll let you know if it catches fire from overuse.

If you are running a commercial shop then it is obviously the wrong choice.

Latest posts

Back