Not exactly fine cabinet making but -

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice - is there a reason behind the angled shape ? (i.e. space/aesthetics,or is it more interesting for the fish? assuming they have a longer memory span than ordinary goldfish :D )

Very nice John. What did you use to keep the water in, a preformed liner, or one of the butyl rubber/pvc type liners?

We had a nice pond at our previous house and we want to build one here. I was looking at a Polyex liner the other week which comes with free underlay and a 35 year warranty. It seemed ok and was a fraction of the cost of butyl rubber, but i have always used butyl, which has never let me down, so i am unsure whether to go for the cheaper one.

Has anyone else used Polyex?

Good luck with your new pond.

Regards

Woody

The shape just follows the existing wall. The driveway opens out to the carport where the wall angles.

The liner is a polytex one from Bradshaws. The free liner was a bit thin, more like the fleece you use as a weed suppressent under gravel, so I put a layer of sand under the botton as well. The liner has no stretch like butyl so is difficult to fit neatly round the corners but otherwise seems OK.

John

woody i use the big blue plastice tarp covers my pond is breeze block and is 12x8x3 foot the bottom is a layer of sand with an old carpet as underlay i built it over 15 years ago ,i change the liner about every 3 years it doesn't cost that much and the carpet is still good the filter system is black plastic water tanks .

frank

It may not be fine cabinet making, but it's certainly fine woodworking and I'm sure it'll give you years of pleasure.

That's the name of the game.

Gill

Very nice John! I like the above ground and the wide cap on the wall just looks like an inviting place to lean and look at the fish.

Mike

Waka, the pond has Koi carp, golden orfe and plain old goldfish in it. We bought all the carp as 4-5 inch fish about 5 years ago, about a fiver each I think. The biggest is about 16" now and would cost about £40 or more. I just find it relaxing to sit on the edge of the pond, beer in hand and watch them.

John

Latest posts

Back