Not everyone finds woodwork quite so easy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be prepared to be bombarded, I've just found out how to post pictures.

This is a Spear and Jackson saw that I bought for the princely sum of £2 at Bridport Market.
The blade needed sharpening, and the teeth weren't level.

I decided to fit a new handle as I find that mos saw handles are too large for my hands.

IMG_0386.JPG

Just to say to the OP that I only took up woodworking about three years ago, spending time at the start learning to refurbish and sharpen tools before moving on to butchering wood.

All of my saws are older, probably pre 1970s, and all bar one are re-sharpenable. As Mike said, sharpening is not that difficult. The Paul Sellers video is a good starting point.

I have no experience of Japanese saws at all, and as Andy T said, let the weight of the saw do the work.

Nigel.

An amazing story.

I'm able bodied and still take ages and I'm still not sure I'm any good.

I'll make Mike a little sign for helpingmy workshop build that says "I heart my jointer" and inform him he HAS to secure it to his door header.

Now that’s really wicked! New York New York so good they named it twice. Sorry Mike, not sure if you know but I went over the pond in February for two months to see my girlfriend, had three flights cancelled on me and was quite happy to stay almost 6 months in all, so I’m almost an honorary Yank! Mind you they do have some very strange ideas, they seem to collect planes, dozens of them. But I’m not sure very many of them know how to use one of them. Sorry to any of our friends over there who do. And why would anybody have four or more rechargeable drill/screwdriver's alli in a purposebuilt rack, when their screw technology is about 10 years behind ours. Ian

Mike said "That really wasn't the point of the story, though. The point was to highlight the response, and the disproportionate amount of effort some people have to put in to achieve what others take for granted."
I knew of a guy lives near me, absolutely brilliant at making models/dolls houses, then he was helping out on one of those steam Railway places and had an accident and he hasn’t been able to work since so far as I know, absolutely tragic I don’t know what I would do if I couldn’t go down to my workshop for a few hours each day. I am almost retired and my finger joints are not at all what they were, and you definitely slow up as you get older. So I do have sympathy for the chap that Mike is helping. He obviously really appreciated that help. Ian

Well done MikeG, thank you for sharing. It's definitely a big like from me 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

From my own standpoint, I am always immensely grateful to the wonderful members that I come across on the various forums that I regularly use.

Thank you to all. be safe.

Mike, having Arthritis in the hands and most other joints I can appreciate the effort it takes sometimes to get the most mundane projects completed, more power to you and all others that have difficulties.

I'm sorry dear I'm not up to cutting the grass today. :ROFLMAO:

.......more power to you and all of us that suffer.........

To be clear, bar an occasional dodgy back, I'm 100%. Fit as a flea. I know how lucky I am, though, and I'm just paying tribute to all those who aren't quite so lucky.

Thanks for all the "Likes", folks. Well over 100 now. I hope that gives a bit of comfort and moral support for those people it's aimed at.

Great thread and story Mike, it's brought me back down to earth and I may even have a rethink.

I'm a great believer in what goes around comes around and have always been happy to help people where I can as I'm lucky to be healthy and able and I have had several instances where I've received personal hand made thank you gifts which are appreciated and treasured, if someone takes the time to do it then it has huge value no matter what it is.

As you know I turn pens and there are a couple of north east lads, introduced through another forum who I've met in person, ex military one has serious physical disabilities only recently started turning, the other is registered blind and common to both men is an amazingly positive attitude to life in general and how they approach their turning. The latter especially who along with other members has raised many thousands of pounds for Help for Heros. How he manages to turn excellent pens when he can barely see is beyond my comprehension and the fact he does it all to help people he perceives as worse off than himself leaves me humbled.

Latest posts

Back