Not everyone finds woodwork quite so easy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this tale is a little mysterious, but I'm going to tell you a story.

A few weeks ago I did a quick drawing for a fellow forumite who was running into a few problems with his shed. It took me about 45 minutes, I guess. I've known all along that this poster has some serious health problems, and it was a pleasure to help him out in a small way.

A while later I received a PM saying that he was going to make me a thank you present, and could he have a postal address, which I passed on. A couple of weeks later, having forgotten all about it, I got a message saying that it had been posted. I replied with "I'm intrigued", to which our friend responded "don't be, and please remember I tried my hardest".

Well, this morning it duly arrived, and with it a letter telling the story behind it, with the serious health issues and so on. It took a week.......a week.........to make the thank you present for the job that had taken me 45 minutes. It's small, and it's lovely, and it will hang in pride of place in or on my workshop, as a reminder that not everyone is as lucky as some, and that what can be a matter of hours for some is an absolute struggle for day after day for others. I'm truly touched that someone would go to so much effort to thank a stranger.

I wonder if those who read this post might give it a "like", so that not only the person involved, but everyone on the forum who has physical and/ or mental health issues can know how much we, the lucky ones, appreciate the efforts of those for whom woodwork, and life, is just that bit more of a struggle.

God damn it, there’s no bloody chance I’ll catch up on the reaction score leaderboards now... :cautious:

That’s a really touching gesture, from you Mike for helping out the fellow and the fellow for going out of his way by a mile to show his appreciation. We have a great community here.

This is the sprit we need in the secret santa, if someone inexperienced or is disabled and has health problems has tried their best to make something that's far more effort than an experienced woodworker making something, and that should be recognised and celebrated.

Pete

Agreed, Pete, but the only way I can see that happening is if no-one posted any photos. The less experienced and the less able are no doubt put off by the thought of having their work on show.

@MikeG: Not only have I thanked for your post, as requested, but I also thought it well worthwhile to add a written post of thanks - along with several others I see.

Your post -AND the subject matter "story" - is EXACTLY the sort of thing that makes this Forum so well appreciated by so many I think.

This is the sprit we need in the secret santa, if someone inexperienced or is disabled and has health problems has tried their best to make something that's far more effort than an experienced woodworker making something, and that should be recognised and celebrated.

Pete
Agreed, Pete, but the only way I can see that happening is if no-one posted any photos. The less experienced and the less able are no doubt put off by the thought of having their work on show.

Slightly has to be tailored to each person - I am so early on into my journey that I have nothing yet to post :) but will do soon - to be honest I am looking forward to doing so as I doubt anyone will be able to be more critical than I will be - plus it is possible to see who means it constructively and because they want to encourage growth, and those who are just dismissive - and then filter out the less helpful ones... - it would be a shame to not receive that critique and sometimes the more brutally honest it is, then the more helpful it can be - all depends on the individual - some are thick-skinned / others are not, and there is a responsibility also for teh person posting to set the context and what they are hoping to gain from posting...

Alasdair

Hi,

Very well done MikeG. and thanks for sharing your interesting story. (y)

It's good to help less abled people out and often costs nothing. Over the years because I have a well equipped workshop I've taken on quite a number of projects to help; some even costing me money.

One such project years ago was for a soldier who had faced gunfire and bombs but one day got out of bed and hasn't left his home since struck down by a fear of going outside.

This guy posted on another forum stating his predicament asking if any member who owned an engineering lathe could help him out by making a specific punch for chainmail; the working point of the punch had to be precise punching holes allowing tiny rivets to be inserted. I replied and once I had exact measurements I easily made a simple punch to be struck with a hammer as requested. I had a bit of spare time for a change so decided to design a lever operated punch and to make it which I did taking a month of interesting work from start to finish; I made a wooden box to accept the items including spanner and hex key together with spare punch tips made of HSS steel. I then posted to him free of charge.

The guy was over the moon and I hope the punch still works because it's very heavy duty.

Normally I have nothing to do with any kind of weapon or anything associated with weapons but this request for help intrigued me and the lever operated punch I made is definitely unique.

Another interesting project I took on as a favour for a forum member was to design and make a potentiometer track to fit a hugely expensive vintage car petrol tank sender unit; the owner had obtained a replacement fuel gauge but it only read half full when the tank was full so I designed and made the new potentiometer track; another very happy guy. These days I'm too busy to take anything on in fact I can't get into the workshop for my own projects due to more pressing jobs around home.

Well done to anyone who helps others just for a thank you.

Kind regards, Colin.

Chain maile punch (1).jpg

Test sheet of metal with punched chain mail links.

Chain maile punch (2).jpg

Sorry about picture quality.

Chain maile punch (3).jpg

The completed chain mail punch fully tested and ready to be posted; made from offcuts I had to hand so materials cost nothing; I have wood turning and metal turning lathes and enjoy playing with them; an interesting project is a bonus.

T

Two points, I think. Firstly, the help, generosity and all round niceness of this place is astonishing. Really.

Secondly, this forum exists purely because of the fact that people post stuff. We can't all be like MikeG, but we still need to put up our embarrassing, trivial efforts none the less, because if only perfection is shown, then it isn't a forum for everyone. Besides, every day in every way, I get better and better. I am inspired, and forced to greater efforts, by people here looking at my work - I use it as equal amounts of carrot and stick, to do better. It seems to work for me. This would be a great opportunity to say thank you all - there is no way I could have got this far (baby steps) without the advice, inspiration and forced attention to detail that I get from here.

(I should probably post something wood related, to show willing). Off to do it now....

That was nice of you Mike, I pondered for a while before putting photos of my work on in case it could be construed as looking for praise. But I came to the conclusion that we are all trying to help each other on here, (it’s amazing what I’ve learnt in the relatively short time I’ve been active.) . In future my pictures will be warts and all, and if somebody looking at my mistakes and cock ups is shown how not to do something I’ll consider that a bonus, Ian

It's not the fear of criticism, it's just the fact that I'm absolutely useless with anything technical like posting pictures.

Back on topic. A nice story Mike.

Nigel.

Really Nigel, I can well understand your worry about posting pics. In the last software it really was a PITA. But since the new owners & software, it really IS very quick and easy. Give it a go, you'll be VERY pleased and surprised, I promise you - ESPECIALLY if you tried before the recent takeover.

Angie has set it out VERY clearly, as have several other members - "easy peasy", 'onest injuns! :)

For anyone put off from posting photos either because they don't think the work is good enough or, conversely, they worry they'll be viewed as showing off, you might feel better about it if, as well as posting the photo, you describe how it was designed and made (e.g. a "work in progress" thread which can be as short or as long as you want/have time for).

That way, if you're not entirely satisfied with the piece, you'll hopefully get some good advice on how to improve or, if you're chuffed with your work, you'll be giving help to those who need it. I think the WIP threads are incredibly valuable and I learn as much from them (ones I've posted as well as ones I've read) whether or not the final piece is a work of art. Simply posting photos doesn't generate the same amount of useful feedback.

Back