Not dust extractors but workshop extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a basic but working extractor (Record 600i) 1000W, 53 l/sec unit with a 100mm inlet.

I would like to pipe this round the workshop and am thinking seriously of the 63mm kit offered by APTC.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/3/product-63mm-Dust-Extraction-Kit-21901.htm

The longest run will be about 20 feet and all kit is low volume in terms of waste (lathe sanding, bandsaw, chopsaw, router table etc). I do not really expect it to remove lathe shavings as they fly everywhere and I have yet to see a system they catches them without really getting in the way. I do not have a p/t and have no really plans to get one (at the moment!)

Has / does anyone use this or a similar setup and could the comment on the effectiveness.

I am just a little concerned of, having bought an extractor with a 100mm inlet, for the first thing I do is choke it down to 63mm!

BRgds and thanks
Simon.

Simon - I'm sure there'll be someone along who has done this, I understood that you need to start small and get bigger as you get nearer the extraction machine. This is what you're doing isn't it :?:

It's a long time since I did airflow calculations (mainly with ambient-air grain drying systems) but the principle is correct in as much as you get a pressure drop over a distance,so the furthest end of the pipework should be stepped-down in size to compensate.
But 63mm (2.5") is quite a big difference from 100mm (4"),so the air will be whizzing along at a fair old rate (100mm diameter is 2.36 X the cross-sectional area of 63mm)

But I haven't tried it :wink:

So it might well work better :D

Andrew

Simon,

I bought the same setup for my workshop and I find it works pretty well.

Mine is connected to an Axminster WV1000 extractor with a 4" inlet. I use 4 inch hose from the extractor to my P/T and then drop down to 2.5 inch for the rest so the 2.5 inch pipes are going to:

Radial arm saw.
It works pretty well with this. I have a box built around the back of the saw and the extractor picks up everything that ends up in the box. The only problem with the RAS is that at full cutting width, the dust doesn't go in the box!

Router table.
It works really well with this, I think the reduced diameter and increased velcocity actually helps

Disc sander.
This has a 2.5 extraction port anyway and with the 2.5 hose, I find I extract pertty much everything from the sander.

I am currently connecting it to my bandsaw and will let you know how I get on.

Other comments:
The blast gates are good and seal well but they can tend to clog slightly with fine dust and occasionally need clearing.

The clear pipework is great because you can see any blockages.

The connectors join the pipes well but don't forget to order loads of jubilee clips to connect hoses to the pipe.

You said you don't have a P/T but if you ever change your mind, you will need something else because I'm pretty sure the P/T will clog the 2.5 inch pipe in seconds.

Hope this is some help

Mike

ordered this exact same system for rutlands last year, kit comprises of:-

4" to 2 1/2" stepdown adapter
8 x 1 mtr tubes
5 x blast gates
2 x 90 deg elbows
3 x 45 deg elbows
4 x T pieces
16 x pipe connectors
10 x wall brackets (screws and wallplugs incl)

it comes well packaged (main box has your parts list printed all over it, so no hiding what you bought from SWMBO :lol: ) on opening you`ll find 8 clear tubes, with an inner box containing all the smaller parts, assembly is pretty much a push fit, components seems rugged enough ( aimed at DIY/home user) the system seems adequate for a small shop and works well.
i have mine connected to a Record RDES2 with permanent extraction from, a `Rat, clarke TS, SIP RA saw, Record BS300 and a Hoover hose swithable between anything from Drill press, belt sander, spndle sander, router table...
i found when i first installed mine i got some dead spots in the tubes collecting waste material, but this was my bad plannig not the system having put the RDES2 in the middle of the system, but just cracking the opposite blast gate clears the tubes ( reconfigured since then, any fool knows put the extraction at the END of the chain :shock: )

my planer and thicknesser i feed directly to a fox 120 litre bagged extractor, cant comment on how it would perform from a P/T setup.

my only gripe is 2 x 90 deg elbows, 3 x 45 deg elbows and 16 pipe connectors??????, why so many connectors, the tubes fit directly into all the components would have preferred ay least another 90 deg or 2...

to sum up a reasonable system, does what it says on the tin..and at sub £60.00 a easy and cheap way to get permanent extraction in your shop.

NeilO,

Well, this fool did not!!!!! :oops:

I was planning to put the extractor on the corner of a L shaped layout. This is both the easiest place for me to put it and my logic was that it minimised the length of pipe to the ends of the L.

Would you advise against this type of layout?

Thanks
Simon

I believe most extractors are high volume low pressure, so are optimum with large pipe bores. Items like vacuums are high pressure low volume. Using smaller pipes increases the pressure and reduces airflow so not ideal for an extractor. Have a read of bill pentz site.. although its designed around cyclones, the information on pipes remains valid...http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

E.g....

"Air at the low pressures we use in dust collection, air is more like water, nearly uncompressible. Any obstruction, small pipe, or tight turn will kill our airflow dramatically just like closing a water valve. This means any obstruction, small port, undersized hood, restrictive internal air pathway in a tool, small section of hose, or restrictive duct fitting will act just like a water valve and seriously reduce flow. This also means our tapered and smaller adapters from our ducting to our tools are all but useless because they also kill our needed airflow. "

ANd interestingly..."To support the 800 CFM we need for good dust collection, we need to upgrade those 4" port connections to 6" and the ducting inside our machines to 6""

Simon, as i reported i also had extraction unit placed more or less in the corner of an "L" and found the chips/dust would fly past the outlet for extraction, and sit in the opposing pipe just whirring round like a mini tornado, but just cracking the opposite blast gate eliviates the problem (OK so you lose a small amount of suction from your machine in use) but on the whole a small drop in suction wont kill you, as opposed to the dust your trying to get rid of.... :D
hope this helps....but try reconfiguring your setup....
anyone else getting this, reasonable system try planning your run of pipes before hand, experiment they are easy enough to move around..

My system is 100mm all the way through my 22ft WS and connected to a Schappach 2600, with blast gates and spurs taken off for the PT, 2 router tables, table saw and a spare and I have to say it is very effective. To date I think I've only had one blockage in the whole system.

Hi Simon

I would go for 100mm pipe throughout on your system and place the extractor at one end of the pipe work, not in the middle

Back