Not Boot sale - but got a decent booty! Well I think so!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Today my wife and I were at a local vintage tractor event supporting Norfolk & Suffolk 4x4 Response

IMG_0307.jpg

and I went off for a little wander to have a gander and a look around the many stalls selling old oily spanners and rusty bits off tractors of all shapes and sizes when a few items on one stall caught my attention in between the oil cans and grease guns

Firstly a lovely old "Hobbies" all metal archimedes drill for the princely sum of 75p

DSCF4631.jpg

Next a nice right angle Brace in excellent condition for £1.50

DSCF4633.jpg

plus from the box of assorted chisels 4x very nice in cannel detail gauges for £4 (£1 ea)

DSCF4635.jpg

But it gets better - well in my opinion anyway

Next a lovely Preston Bull Nose plane - paid £20 for this but think it was worth it :)

DSCF4638.jpg

DSCF4639.jpg

But my real favourite of the day

A Steel dovetailed Matieson shoulder plane in great condition for £30 - its a lovely plane

DSCF4643.jpg

DSCF4641.jpg

Admittedly not your cheapest but I remember using one of these when I was doing my training and it held a beautiful edge and all the tools I bought will be going into regular use after a sharpen.

So ok not a boot fair but I am really pleased with my new toys!

Good buys, all of them! I'm sure they will be put to good use.

Just been looking more closely at the Mathieson and have identified it as an 853 dovetailed steel infill, and i'm even more chuffed now as I have found it sports a crescent moon and eight pointed start - The sign of their best quality :D

Despite a bit of Google bashing I havnt been able to accurately date it though - any experts out there who can advise??

I don't know first and last dates, but this page from the 1899 Mathieson catalogue lists the no 853, in a choice of sizes, so it was available then.

pg10.jpg

Now after a bit more research have found that the three gouges with slim handles are Buck Brothers Chisels and whilst I am waiting on confirmation from across the pond looks like they were made about 1895! :shock:

Well I have spent all evening trying to find out a bit more about those fine handled little gouges and it now appears that they are not actually American Buck Chisels.

On much closer inspection, magnifying glasses etc they are stamped "J.Buck Cast Steel"

From information from across the pond I have been informed that these were actually made by Joseph Buck here in the UK in Sheffield - he was the grandfather of the Buck Brothers who subsequently went to the USA and set up the Buck Brothers brand that exists to this day. Joseph Buck died in 1824 at the age of 78. He was born in 1746 and died in 1824.

The very slim handles are definitely original from the fitting/patina etc and also confirm the aging apparently, the steel is extremely fine.

So looks like they were made in the late 1700s (1790>1800) during which period Joseph Buck was the Manager of the Newbold factory in Sheffield.

I'm quite excited by these as you can probably tell, anyway off to investigate a bit more.

Oooh thats interesting, I got a J.Buck cast steel mortice chisel off ebay a while ago - wonder if its the same sort of vintage.

Nice finds there by the way.

dodge, i will put behind us the cruel things you said via pm :lol:

to congratulate you on what seems to be a very early haul of the year award. when i first saw those chisels it thought they where a bit special with the very skinny and shapely handles. also the two planes are stunning in fantastic condition.

i will be posting up my somewhat meagre haul in light of yours, in the next day or too.

jims a bit quiet tonight rain cloud in kent? alfie got to the internet cable?

adidat

Dodge":kgj4g4pa said:
Well I have spent all evening trying to find out a bit more about those fine handled little gouges and it now appears that they are not actually American Buck Chisels.

On much closer inspection, magnifying glasses etc they are stamped "J.Buck Cast Steel"

From information from across the pond I have been informed that these were actually made by Joseph Buck here in the UK in Sheffield - he was the grandfather of the Buck Brothers who subsequently went to the USA and set up the Buck Brothers brand that exists to this day. Joseph Buck died in 1824 at the age of 78. He was born in 1746 and died in 1824.

The very slim handles are definitely original from the fitting/patina etc and also confirm the aging apparently, the steel is extremely fine.

So looks like they were made in the late 1700s (1790>1800) during which period Joseph Buck was the Manager of the Newbold factory in Sheffield.

I'm quite excited by these as you can probably tell, anyway off to investigate a bit more.

Ok my further investigation and with further information from America it appears that the above thoughts may not actually be correct - it is much more likely that the chisels were made by and/or sold, by one of the Buck businesses in London.The most likely candidate is the Joseph Buck firm which was in business from about 1826 until around 1922. Located, over the years, at a number of London addresses, this firm was listed as saw, file, and mechanical tool makers until, at least, 1909. After that, they were listed only as tool makers. By 1882, their primary address was 56 Holborn Viaduct EC, where they remained through 1922.

Anyway now off to find them a home in my workshop!

I was working until midnight last night...and after a 5am start at the bootfair...a tad shagged so missed this one.

Dodge my buddy...what can I say? :shock: An astounding haul and I just don't know where to start.

Ok...I guess the infill shoulder...as Andy...our resident catalogue expert correctly proves...late 1800s and on of the very best. Lovely snecked iron with hardly any wear whatever on the business end....an absolute bargain at that price...I think it would sell well over three figures...but in that condition with that amount of marking...probably at a premium. Brilliant! =D> =D> I am willing to bet that once you hone that iron...you will not be parting with it! 8)

The Preston bullnose is (as you probably know)...the more sought after version of the Record...and is supposedly higher quality. I can't confirm this because I don't have one...but the Record is a stunning and useful plane so if this is better you have a gem there mate!

Now...to the things that really snapped my eye to them...the three little chisels. That handle shape is simply sublime. Anything Buck is snapped up on FleaBay for silly money and I think these little gouges will be no exception. Personally I think they are the find of the week, month and probably for a long time to come...they are truly beautiful. Any chance of you posting a larger pic of the handle and maybe a close up of the mark...wonderful...simply wonderful things!

I'm not surprised you are pleased with your new toys...you have a fantastic eye!

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Jim

Amazing what turns up if you keep an eye out - that's not bad for one trip!

On the Preston bullnose, I can confirm that they are a very nice little plane. I bought mine about 25 years ago in one of the local antique shops, so (whilst I can't actually remember what I paid for it) it wasn't dirt cheap. However, it takes an edge like a razor and holds it well, and it fits so nicely in the palm of the hand that I use mine instead of a block plane - it's just a nice weight, too. I didn't know they were sought after, though - I'll have to hide it, now.

It's one of those planes that you don't actually 'need', but would be utterly bereft if you lost it.

The other reason I remember where I bought it was that I would have passed by the shop if it wasn't for the huge 4" shipwright's slick in the window. I went in to ask what it was (didn't know any better at the time!). It had a fabulous price on the ticket, and I couldn't think why I'd need one, so left it - but did find my little bullnose in there instead.

jimi43":21tjhbbq said:
I was working until midnight last night...and after a 5am start at the bootfair...a tad shagged so missed this one.

Dodge my buddy...what can I say? :shock: An astounding haul and I just don't know where to start.

Ok...I guess the infill shoulder...as Andy...our resident catalogue expert correctly proves...late 1800s and on of the very best. Lovely snecked iron with hardly any wear whatever on the business end....an absolute bargain at that price...I think it would sell well over three figures...but in that condition with that amount of marking...probably at a premium. Brilliant! =D> =D> I am willing to bet that once you hone that iron...you will not be parting with it! 8)

The Preston bullnose is (as you probably know)...the more sought after version of the Record...and is supposedly higher quality. I can't confirm this because I don't have one...but the Record is a stunning and useful plane so if this is better you have a gem there mate!

Now...to the things that really snapped my eye to them...the three little chisels. That handle shape is simply sublime. Anything Buck is snapped up on FleaBay for silly money and I think these little gouges will be no exception. Personally I think they are the find of the week, month and probably for a long time to come...they are truly beautiful. Any chance of you posting a larger pic of the handle and maybe a close up of the mark...wonderful...simply wonderful things!

I'm not surprised you are pleased with your new toys...you have a fantastic eye!

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Jim

Having owned and used a huge array of tools over the years I must admit I do tend to know a gem when I spot one - or three in the case of yesterdays outing - Sarah my wife still doesnt understand!

Anyway very lightly cleaned the Mathieson (nothing drastic dont panic) and honed the blade and all I can say is that its very unlikely I will be parting with it - beautifully balanced, the blade holds a fantastic edge and will take off the finest of shavings - Well chuffed with it.

The Preston is without doubt better quality than the Record copy - Again honed this today and its nice that all the parts, body, plane and lever cap are all stamped to identify that they are matched pieces for the same plane. Again tool a lovely edge and is now homed in my plane cabinet to be used as a good plane should be.

Now those Bucks, nicley honed and new space made for them in my chisel racks - will get a close up pic of the stamping for you if I remember tomorrow.

To be perfectly honest I dont really care what they are worth, I bought them all because I loved them and know that when I have finished with them and I'm in me box hopefully my lad will continue to cherish and use them.

Rog

Back