Not a woodworking tool but...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi Folks :)

I need to buy an angle grinder for cutting some paving slabs. I thought a 9" best and have looked @ the Bosch GWS 20-230 in Screwfix @ £69.99.

Does anyone know if its cheaper anywhere else or have any other recommendations.....or is it one of those tools where a cheapo job would do?

I am keeping an eye on ebay.

I have to cut about 30 slabs in all

cheers

Billzee

I bought a "JCB" from Argos I think, £40 - also for a 9" disk capacity. It served me well for about 2 years, including a very large number of cuts on my patio.

In the end, the spindle lock broke so it's hard to change the discs, however it is still possible (just) to use some molegrips to provide some resistance.

It had slow-start, more than enough power, and for £40 I can't really fault it. Given the chance again, I'd buy one slightly more expensive, perhaps in the region of the one you are suggesting.

Adam

I bought the cheap ferm 4.5inch grinder from Screwfix for £6.99. I've used it extensively to cut both metal and stone and it has been great ( I used the cheap cutting discs from Screwfix as well) I took down a steel framed farm building measuring 40' by 20' using only four discs! I would have thought that it is one of those tools where unusually a cheap one will do as well as a more expensive one, though other people might have a different opinion. £69.99 seems a lot of money if this is a one-off job.

Cheers

Chris

Billzee,

I have a cheap 4 and a half inch B&D (£15 or so from Machine Mart a few years ago) that has survived some incredible abuse and still works perfectly

I have had a Makita 9" grinder for years. It was quite expensive and has never been frightened by anything I have done with it. I also have the cheap little Screwfix job. When you think about it a grinder is just a powerful motor attached to a blade where all the cutting force is applied at the edge of a fairly large disc. It must be quite difficult to stall one of these things if you use it correctly so, on that basis, why do you need to spend a lot of money on it? It should never need to work really hard.
I would not spend too much if you don't need to.

SF

Thanks for the advice.

I guess what probably seperates the cheap from expensive is the price :lol: :oops: ..it is early :wink:

Basically I guess a cheap bit of kit will do the job in this case, as I don't envisage much past this job for it ( famous last words :lol: ) , its just so more much of a pleasure to own and use a decent tool, but not having infinite resources, something has to give somewhere.

I got a cheapo 4 1/2" Craft grinder from aldi ( £9) I think, sometime ago with a bunch of blades.

I thought initially that it wouldn't be up to the job or @ best make hard work of it, but I think I'll give it a go first.

Failing that its probably one of the cheapo jobs

Cheers

Billzee :)

Hi Bilzee
Screwfix is doing a 9" at the moment for 20 quid in their stock clearance section. I have their 4 1/2" and it has over the years been fantastic for the money, cutting concrete and steel. I believe it is a Ferm in which case you get a three year warranty with it. You can't go wrong, if it is only for one job or occasional use and if it goes kaput on the first job you can get your money back as it was unsuitable for the job it was sold to do.

All the best

John

If it's a one off job, why spend a lot on the grinder. We all like to have the best kit but being pragmatic, if it can't pay for itself in the long run...go for a cheapy Ferm... urghh! - can't believe I'm suggesting this!

Maybe it'll last, maybe it won't but heck, it's still got a years free replacement guarantee from Screwfix. What about your local tool hirer? Could be even cheaper.

Hi

Ive tried the small grinder but although it cuts well the blade is a bit too small for the job.

Thanks for the various links. :)

No netto within 30 miles unfortunately ( nearest canterbury).

The screwfix stock clearence job looks good, but the cheapest diamond blade is £24.99 :shock: .... a fiver more than the grinder !!

May be worth putting it off to the next Aldi toolfest.

I picked up the craft 4 1/2" grinder for 9.99 and six diamond blades for £6

They were also selling the 9" grinder for about £16, can't remeber how much the diamond blades were, a lot cheaper than 24.99 I think :shock:

You don't need a diamond blade. An abrasive disc for stone will cut many feet of hardish concrete or brick at about £3 a pop. I used to use a 9" angle grinder for chasing in lead flashing. Worked very well (apart from the dust). 8)

I cut many paving slabs with a masonry disc fitted in an old B&D circular saw. I found it accurate as I was cutting all the slabs down the middle & made a simple jig from plywood with a fence to run the saw against.
The jig was similar to a bench hook for sawing in the workshop.
The cut slabs form the lawn edging on an 80' lawn.
Dust is the big problem.
I started cutting them at the side of the house before the neighbours were shouting for me to stop. The slabs were then moved to the bottom of the cgarden to complete once the wind change to blow away from the house (brook & field to the rear)

Back