Not a secret santa

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
but still a very plesent surprise :shock:

After meeting up last night at a local hostelery to celibrate the soltice :-" Christmas started early for me with a coulpe of very nice pressies. :D

012-6.jpg

A beautiful wooden plane adjusting hammer from Ed & some lovely Laburnum from Jacob that`s destined to be turned it to a tool handle or several. \:D/

Cheers & Happy Christmas :ho2

Good stuff Doug.

I'll be interested to see what you make of the Laburnum as I have quite a bit myself and haven't played with any of it yet.
I've heard mutters of "crumbly" but then I've heard the same of walnut ...

Nice prezzies,
I like laburnum, polishes well and make nice handles. The dust is horrible though as is the sawdust, the plant is poisonous after all. I've not had it crumble but it can be brittle.

Robert

The Laburnum I've worked with has been gorgeous - wise advice to avoid the dust though. Very nicely behaved for something that has all the figure and hardness of an exotic and when you lay on the first coat of oil and see the quartered grain come alive it's sensational. You can oil it immediately for a deep gold colour or weather it for a while first and get a rich chocolate brown - or anything in between. A wonderful gift.

Ed's hammer looks a bit special too, love the handle shape and with a nice light head it will make a very precise tapper indeed.

Have a great Christmas!

Back