Not a Plumber so WTF is going on

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droogs

Not the Sharpest Moderator in the box
Reaction score
Every time it goes below 0 outside or it snow my baxi boiler stops effin workng. now yet again sitting with no heat or hot water Why??!!!???!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Condensate pipe frozen?

I am not a plumber either but this would be my guess. They say to avoid long runs outside to the drain, I cut mine so that there is an inch gap between where it comes out of the wall and the overflow pipe so that it can't back up.

The gas route is from a central stairwell in through the wc and then into the kitchen. Once it comes in the flat it is behind boxing until it get to the boiler

yep condensate pipe - could try running a kettle of hot water over it?

I remember my plumber mentioning the problem with them freezing up - he put a wider one on our boiler, and never (touch wood!) had a problem with it

Boiler is on outside wall of kitchen and the pipe outside is about 2" long max

+1 to condensate pipe. Once it freezes it backs up. There’s a drain on the boiler that can be used to empty it out.

It is a baxi boiler about 10 years old. says Solo HE next to the twirly knob

there will be a blow off pipe which will discharge water if the pressure ever gets too great, which maybe what you see? should also be a plastic pipe which carries the condensed water to the drain - sometimes that could be run inside the house too

At that age it’s more than likely a condensing boiler you should have a plastic pipe running to waste chances are this has frozen up stopping the boiler from working

there are 3 lights on a panel the right one says ON the middle has a big candle flame and the left a little flame with a line. If I try tthe reset button after about 5 mins the 2 outside lights come on and there is a bit of a clunk

right will try pouring some kettle water down the little pipe if i can
see if that helps
cheers

is the pipe metal or plastic - usually the blow off will be metal and the plastic will be the condensate pipe

There is a white plastic pipe from the bottom left of the boiler and this looks like is goes to the main drainpipe from the kitchen sink? I goes of in the direction of the sink and nowhere near the outside wall before it disappears behind a cabinet

there is a metal pipe that goes somewhere too. and the one outside is a big flue thing and there is a tiny metal pipe poking out of a grill with a little tap/valve that a radiator key fits

Back