Not a lot of wood in this.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
Well there is a bit of elm burr but the rest is scrap copper pipe of various thickness, annealed, cut flattened / shaped as necessary.
First go at copper flowers, the missus is happy but she's easily pleased. :wink:

Attachments

• Daffs.jpg
    Daffs.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 642
:lol: :lol: :lol: How did you guess? Did get a few nicks but nothing serious.

Had my 6 year old granddaughter on Saturday and she always makes a beeline for a simple puppy carving I did 20 years ago, I had started making another for her to keep so told her.

"Thanks grandpa" she says, " can you make me a cat? " #-o I'm 3/4 through the carving so a pup is what she's getting but no doubt a cat will have to follow. Need any help with those stairs? :wink:

phil.p":1nyrob2o said:
https://www.lbsbmonline.co.uk/copper-slate-disc-rivet-crampon-per-10?gclid=CjwKCAiA3OzvBRBXEiwALNKDPwRjBjbonq0K6KmJsGO7il-C8u35VwsJ7ox2toVVaCE0jY6qW9eTnBoCQSUQAvD_BwE

come in handy for for that type of copper work.
Thanks for that Phil, I didn't think of looking for new materials. I never used copper rivets when I was working any idea what dia they are?

That's a really good looking piece Lons.

Though I don't do much of it I like working with copper (sheet). As a matter of interest, all the stuff on rooves here that would be lead flashing in the old days in UK is sheet copper over here (as are many rainwater gutters and downpipes). In fact I think the only bit of plastic guttering and downpipe in our road is on the 2M square garden tools storage shed I put up a few years ago!

I therefore keep and eye open and have managed to piece up a nice couple of bits of "scrap" sheet copper whenever I see work going on -there's another refurbish going on in our village right now and I guess it's very near to tiles and flashing time.

Anyway, I do have some "scrap" copper sheet offcuts stashed away. Keep the size reasonable (for postage) and I'll happily cut off a couple of bits and post them to you.

Re copper rivets, unfortunately I couldn't open the link in the post above, sdo am not sure exactly what was being referred to, but from what little I know, copper rivets are available in all sorts of lengths and diameters. Try a couple of the Model Engineering suppliers shown in the sticky list at the top of the General Metalworking section.

Thanks for the kind words and the offer AES, normally I'd definitely take you up on that but I've actually been offered some sheet today by a plumber who's just removed an old dual hot/cold water tank so I can have at least a square metre, don't know the gauge but I can't refuse. :) That will probably last me for as long as I need. Gave him one of my turned pens in exchange and he was well chuffed as it saved him a present for his missus. :lol:

If there were copper flashed roofs over here it would disappear very quickly. #-o

PS Is it going to be white or wet for Christmas over there?

Bob

Good that you're set up for material Lons. More copper fun to come next year then.

Looks about a 90+% chance of it being a wet Christmas here. We did see some snow a couple or so weeks back, but it all went quite quickly and lately it's been unusually warm, about 10-12C daytime and about +4-5C nights.

But loads of snow up in the mountains (about 1,000M & higher) and no doubt we'll get our share down here (400M) next year. Clearing the snow from the drive to the garage is GREAT for my back!

And your end of the world?

Happy Christmas mate.

Cold and wet though a little warmer the last couple of days, doesn't suit my 6 year old granddaughter, she wants it to snow. :)
SammyQ lives not too far from me and as he says "it's been biblical", still my brother lives in Sydney and look what's happening there!

All the best for Christmas and 2020.

All the best for 2020 to you and yours too mate.

And yeah, if it helps you can tell your grand daughter that she's not alone. The kids here broke up for the hols yesterday, and of course, being hilly around here, they too are wishing for snow (lots of sledging in the village, + an ice rink too). But as said my guess is they won't be lucky until after they go back to school next year.

Cheers

Back