Not a boring machine!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread, very much enjoyed reading this! Love these old drilling machines and have been restoring smaller ones myself for the last year and a bit in a somewhat self taught manner. I have yet to see one like this in person, looks gorgeous with the restoration, nice balance of keeping the history and preserving the functionality.

I am very pleased to see a hand powered drill press being use, thought I was the only one who used those these days! What make is yours out of interest? I have a Union A1, brilliant machine and one of my first successful restorations.

Rhyolith":35zpsgpl said:
Great thread, very much enjoyed reading this! Love these old drilling machines and have been restoring smaller ones myself for the last year and a bit in a somewhat self taught manner. I have yet to see one like this in person, looks gorgeous with the restoration, nice balance of keeping the history and preserving the functionality.

I am very pleased to see a hand powered drill press being use, thought I was the only one who used those these days! What make is yours out of interest? I have a Union A1, brilliant machine and one of my first successful restorations.

I'm glad you liked it!

I did a separate thread on the drill press https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/nice-new-bench-drill-t80666.html

I don't know what make it is - do say if you recognise this logo:

IMG_3022_zpsbf489a2f.jpg

Here's another puzzle piece for you.

Abraham Spafford started producing tools under his own name in Sheffield in 1858 after leaving a brief partnership with Samuel Peace. I have a lovely old Peaces, Spafford & Co sash saw, hence the research. The independant A. Spafford and Co went on to become a successful family firm and were still going right up to the 1970s. Previously Peace had a partnership with Robert Ibbotson who lived in New York and acted as the firm's US agent, this would suggest a gearing towards and links with the US market, presumably in a similar way to Sorby's focus on Australia.

Matthew - Simon Barley's book confirms what you say but lacks a picture of the Spafford mark - you could send him a photo direct or use the backsaw.net forum.

I thought the mention of Abraham earlier meant it was understood to be AS, just looks more like an R to me, sorry, no info either way.

I am intrigued to what it could be... I am pretty sure your drill is Union like mine (considering the "A-1"), however there is next to no info on the Union company other than it made lathes under the name T.S. Harrison and Son: http://www.lathes.co.uk/union/

Shame that "T" is so an R or that might be the answer!

Back