Nostalgia Old School B&D Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a large Clarke pillar drill but Ive often wondered if a regular mains electric drill sitting in a drill stand would be just as good and a hell of a lot easier to live with? My Peugeot electric drill seems to be a powerful beast and Im sure has more muscle than the pillar drill, and it looks like the drill stands have a longer “quill” travel too.
Steve.

Check this out. Came across it when I bought one on eBay recently, paid £5 for it. Useful old drill.
I can’t see your drill but look at pages 56-59 and the amount of accessories available.

https://issuu.com/retromash/docs/argos-no04-1975-76-autumnwinter/57

Thx Stuart, that Argo cat’ is super, £13.25, how things have changed.

Now I see it’s double insulated, that gives me confidence to plug it in, hold on …… bang :)

I found the chuck key this morning, so now it is functional at least.

Found this in my father in laws garage. In the getting better section. With mild trepidation I tried and all working fine, though the brushes might need replacing, or it could be the dust burning off.
7894F462-7818-473A-A4D6-C1D9ACE23BE7.jpeg

With mild trepidation I tried and all working fine.

Metal cases always make it more fun when trying out something you have found.
When I was doing my YTS training many moons ago, we had an very old metal drill in the workshop, I was 17/18 and was never happy with the way the plug was wired as you could see the red and black wires outside the plug. (Electrical safety was taught to me at a very early age after zapping myself when removing a plug without the top cover on, was the old plug socket with no switch)
So opened the plug to re-wire and it was a mess with the main issue being a bolt instead of a fuse 😡
Since then I always check the plug first, then do an continuity check to make sure it’s grounded and when the trigger is pulled I’m not going to make the case live.

Back