Norton waterstone Retailer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm looking for a retailer of norton waterstones. So far the only stockist I've found is Tilgear, but they seem to only have the combination stones. Ideally, I'd like the single grit stones.
Any suggestions?
Alternatively can anyone recommend an different make and stockist? I know axminster sell some, any opinions on these?
My only reason for choosing Norton at the moment is L-N's recommendation and the fact they are 3" wide stones.
Thanks
Andy

Cheers Scott,
A bit more pricey than I'd hoped... Wonder if you are paying for the name? Might have a bit more of a think about the axminster option.
Andy

Andy you could always get them from LN in the states which is what I did. They arrived pretty quickly but how much cheaper they would be would depend on whether you got charged anything extra by customs. In this case I didn't and they worked out about half the price of Classic Hand Tools, $65 for a 4000/8000 combo stone as opposed to £73.50.

Graeme

Welcome to the forum, Andy.

Scott's grabbed the only UK online source I know of for Nortons, however as far as other brands go: It's worth noting that David Charlesworth uses the King brand, and hasn't changed this despite his recent collaboration with Norton-selling Lie-Nielsen on his sharpening DVD/vid. Now IIRC "Ice Bear" are King ones, and this kit seems a good deal, especially if you want to follow DC's route. And everyone seems to be these days... Dunno if that helps.

Cheers, Alf

Disclaimer: I use oil stones... :roll:

Hi Alf,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've just arrived here from being a rec.woodworking user. Although I've had some good advice from everyone there, the group suffers from A LOT of random news pollution. There is a definite US bias too. In the afternoon I've been looking around here, it looks great, with far more info on the real bread and butter of woodwork, hand tools.

My interest in waterstones stems from having just read Leonard Lee's 'Complete guide to sharpening'. Before that I've only used oil stones. This is more due to what I've inherited down the family line, rather than any other choice!!

I think going for the 'Ice-Bear' stones looks like a winner. It'll give me an intro to waterstones, at a much friendlier price (Which is a winner because I can put the rest towards that new shoulder plane I'm after ;-) )

Hmm... wonder if it's worth getting a 8000 grit too? Just for that extra edge?

Anyways. Thanks again all for the advice, and I look forward to chatting more in the forum.

Good to see you again, Andy.

Noel

Andy..

FWIW... I've been relying on King stones for a couple of years now, more than half of my stones are at or over 3" wide.. reasonable prices through Axminster...

Andy
I picked up the ice bear kit at the Axminster show to replace my narrower stones. They really are good stones-I don't think an 8000 is really needed (especially as it will cost more than the kit!! :wink: ) The edge from the 6000 is truly sharp and polished.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Well, I'm sold. Over to axminster at some point today I think.

Hi Noel, thanks for the tip off for this group from rec.woodworking. Think I've found more of a home here already!! (Have to admitt though it was actually my misses that orginally found the link for me ;-))

Midnight and Philly thanks for the advice too.

Going back a bit, Froglet, forgot to say I'd thought about this option, but I'm more comfortable buying stuff from the UK. Seeing as there is a UK alternative, might as well help the pockets of our local retailers.

Right, better do some work otherwise there'll be no money in the 'Tools Andy really must have' pot!!

Just another quick question to add to the bottom of this one.
What does everyone use to re-flatten their waterstones? Some reading points me towards using a diamond stone.

Anyone had any experience with the axminster diamond stones? The DMT ones are pretty pricey.

Andy

Andy
Save your money!
A piece of float glass from your local glazier (say a £5) amd a sheet of 220 wet and dry paper are all you need. I have mine set up next to my waterstones-every time i sharpen I draw pencil lines across the surface of the stone, dunk it in water and then rub it around on the wet and dry until the marks are all gone. 30 secs work and flat as a pancake.
By doing this each time you sharpen it takes next to no work and ensures your stones stay flat.
cheers
Philly :D

Oh dear... Must have been having a stupid moment!! There I was looking over the axminster website looking for some kind of loose grinding powder to go with a glass plate, and not finding much. So the suggestions of a diamond stone seemed like a winner.... Can't believe I didn't think of a bit wet and dry.

Well off to the glaziers it is.

Perhaps an idea for a site slogan might be: "UK Workshop Forum; a great way to save money!!"

Barry, thanks for the tip.

Alf":2apqd2gg said:
Of course you've not been here long, have you...?
Good point... Perhaps it should be:
"UK Workshop Forum. Seeing as you're gonna spend that money anyway, you might as well get it right!!" ;-)

Andy

Latest posts

Back