Norton Combination Stone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean Hellman":pcz458qp said:
John Juranitch wrote a book on sharpening years ago, The razor edge book of sharpening, and he states very clearly never to use oil on an oil stone as it will degrade the edge.
He's talking nonsense.
....... So I do not understand his reasoning.
Because he's wrong. I'd bin the book if I were you. :lol:
It wouldn't be the first time that a woodwork guru spouted nonsense - it's par for the course. :roll:
If he is a guru that is - I've never heard of him.

Just got back from the pub. Sharpening demo went well. 2 hours frantic activity, people having a go and a lot of sharp chisels! Star event perhaps was sharpening and using a scrub plane to scrub a bit of an old joist - diagonal stroke to remove the gunge and cut into clean wood in one stroke. n.b. scrub plane with 32mm radius camber is possibly the easiest of all to sharpen freehand; Impossible with a jig.

Riveting stuff.

Attachments

• sleeping-in-class.jpg
    sleeping-in-class.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 113
It was a nice mornings activity and a friendly group all getting along. Luckily no miserable sods like Lons turned up - always a worry!

I was doing a bit of rummaging for something else today and I found an old combination stone, I always thought "Pah, load of rubbish" and would normally just chuck it back in the box but today something about it said "Try me, Jacob said so.", So I plucked it out of the junk box and gave it a pretty thorough clean since there were years of grime and dust caking it and I broke the biblical rule of the hollow stone, I flattened it since it was pretty bad right in the middle. It only took me about 20 minutes to relatively flatten both sides with a fairly aggressive diamond plate. It's come up pretty nicely and it actually works pretty well for something I'd always discounted as a bit of a "bodgers stone". I've gone and put it on the bench, so well done Jacob, your zealous preaching made me consider something that I otherwise probably wouldn't have done.

I never found that other thing I was looking for! #-o

Jacob":2a5z8hs6 said:
It was a nice mornings activity and a friendly group all getting along. Luckily no miserable sods like Lons turned up - always a worry!

Clearly no one there who have ever seen your sharpening thread rants then.

I've never been away Jacob just kept an eye on the usual cr*p floating across from your direction and couldn't resist the little poke any longer. Don't worry about it you said you had me on your ignore list.

Happy New Year to you too. :lol: :wink:

I'd say Jacob did more good today than most of us.He spent some time aiding a worthwhile cause,sharpened a fair few tools,showed novices how its done and enabled somebody here to revive a stone and evaluate it.

worn thumbs":2pjzgyyo said:
I'd say Jacob did more good today than most of us.He spent some time aiding a worthwhile cause,sharpened a fair few tools,showed novices how its done and enabled somebody here to revive a stone and evaluate it.

Perhaps but some don't crow about it and you can look at it another way as well when considering his past arguments that maybe he was indulging his passion to indoctrinate others in his beliefs.
I'm not saying what Jacob has done isn't worthwhile especially if any proceeds are for a good cause just poking fun at someone to see if he still has a sense of humour. Apparently he has not. :lol:

You don't know whether or not I gave up my time this morning to helpsomeone and I'm not going to tell you.
I know several others who give almost all their spare time producing and selling items for war heros as well as teaching disabled war veterans to turn.
Now that is what's really important, unbiased advice given freely and without prejudice and not like the statements posted by the forums resident egotist such as:
He's talking nonsense
. and
Because he's wrong. I'd bin the book if I were you. :lol:
It wouldn't be the first time that a woodwork guru spouted nonsense

Lons":3d6kgkga said:
Perhaps but some don't crow about it and you can look at it another way as well when considering his past arguments that maybe he was indulging his passion to indoctrinate others in his beliefs.
I'm not saying what Jacob has done isn't worthwhile especially if any proceeds are for a good cause just poking fun at someone to see if he still has a sense of humour. ......
How would you know Lons - humour doesn't seems to be your strong point. :lol: Being interesting isn't either. :roll:

Jacob":nlaw3njz said:
Trevanion":nlaw3njz said:
If I was going to film it I'd want to set it up really carefully and be director and editor with total control!

Exactly, some of the big Hollywood stars signed terrible contracts and now just make a few million per film rather than tens of millions.
Stay in control Jacob, arrange your own TV, radio and press interviews, pick your own P.A. make sure they follow your ethos, remember "me too" NO TOUCHING the groupies and above all don't let it go to you head just be "normal".............. some of those stars are right tw*ts.

Re Sean's and Trevanion's glazed or otherwise neglected stones. Wendy brought one along yesterday - a double sided in its original cardboard box but polished shiny and unusable. She also brought a nice collection of old Marples chisels all as blunt as f....., stuff she inherited from somewhere.
Obviously both stones and chisels had hardly been used before the original owner had given up on the shiny stone. Took about 3 seconds to make the stone usable with a quick thrash over with a 3m Diapad and white spirit.
They need to kept in a trad wooden box to protect them from chipping or being dropped, and to keep them from drying out. It also keeps the oil in the box and not on the bench top. They need flooding with oil in use, wiping clean afterwards and lid put back on straightaway.
We hit on the prob of worn stones. The one I used most, for about 30 years when I was hard at it, is very hollow both ways. This makes it slightly incompatible with a new straight edged blade. But it was never a problem; if you use the same stone on the same tools over a long period they end up fitting like a glove and every sharpening produces the same perfect little camber automatically with no effort or thought.

Apply for "Britains got talent", could be an excellent opportunity to showcase an exciting sharpening show, get some razzamatazz, dancing girls in bikinis, big drum rolls as you pull out your old tool in front of Cheryl and anounce how your going to oil it up and give it a damn good polish ................... if that's not a show stopper I don't know what is.

Jacob":123lckjm said:
The one I used most, for about 30 years when I was hard at it, is very hollow both ways. This makes it slightly incompatible with a new straight edged blade. But it was never a problem; if you use the same stone on the same tools over a long period they end up fitting like a glove and every sharpening produces the same perfect little camber automatically with no effort or thought.

What do you sharpen any new tools (new second hand) on, or do you grind the existing straight edge off on purpose to fit. How do you regrind them, I presume with a camber?
I always used a figure 8 grinding motion on stones and found it only really hollowed in one direction, you were probably taught incorrectly and have continued through the years like that.
Diamond stones only now for me, just less messing around.

Diamond stones are so cheap now that they make more sense in a workshop environment, as they don't dish at all. They last a few years and then you replace them. To me a dished stone is nigh on useless. I need to sharpen chisels from 1/8" up to 2" and various plane blades. Everything is a different size and a dished stone wrecks the edge.

If I am in my workshop the linisher does the job in a few seconds, but anywhere else I just a diamond stone for ease.

Jacob":3abxyvf3 said:
How would you know Lons - humour doesn't seems to be your strong point. :lol: Being interesting isn't either. :roll:

Your skin seems to be thinning, you can get cream to help that. :)

Anyway - final conclusion on the Norton IB8 - it isn't coarse and fine, it's coarse and medium only. Still need a finer stone to finish. So back to my other Norton combi of unknown spec - looks identical and you can just make out the "Norton" on the surface but it's definitely much finer.
To have a bench mark was the idea of buying it in the first place - now I know that Norton IB8 is "coarse and medium", until they change the spec :roll:

worn thumbs":ppzn4yqe said:

He did indeed Worn Thumbs, the three seasoned woodworkers who also attended all had an enjoyable morning & learnt just how sharp a rounded bevel sharpened on an oil stone can be, not that I didn’t know having used Jacob’s edge tools for a few years.

All in all a great day out, the Nelson’s beer was up to its usual high standards in the afternoon & the Maazi curry house lived up to its star rating , Thanks very much Jacob

Doug B":kwyjb3ki said:
worn thumbs":kwyjb3ki said:

He did indeed Worn Thumbs, the three seasoned woodworkers who also attended all had an enjoyable morning & learnt just how sharp a rounded bevel sharpened on an oil stone can be, not that I didn’t know having used Jacob’s edge tools for a few years.

All in all a great day out, the Nelson’s beer was up to its usual high standards in the afternoon & the Maazi curry house lived up to its star rating , Thanks very much Jacob
Thanks Doug I enjoyed it too, nice to see you all. Another benefit was I had to do a massive tidy up first which has been long overdue.
Been asked to do a repeat and/or another topic. Freehand dovetails next? :shock:

Tickets on the door or do I need to pre book, I may get a bus load of us up there.

Back