Northwest timber yards, or lack there of.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britman

Chip of the old block
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Just read the thread for timber yards and it seem nearly all are down south.
Are there seriously no hard wood timber yards in the northwest area (I'm near Liverpool) that deal in stuff more exotic then CLS?

Don't get me wrong I'm happy to buy online but it would be nice to have a wonder around a yard and get hand on.

Thanks.
Mark.

Last edited:
they are few and far between but they exist.
I'd suggest atlantic timber although it's still 20-30 miles from Liverpool.
hardwood sales is in Huyton but I don't think they have a yard you can for a wander round.

they are few and far between but they exist.
I'd suggest atlantic timber although it's still 20-30 miles from Liverpool.
hardwood sales is in Huyton but I don't think they have a yard you can for a wander round.
I know Hardwood, I always thought they where wholesale bulk buying only because every time I've drove past it just look like a warehouse, like you say no yard so to speak.

20-30 mile is a road trip 😊

I've been to both British Hardwoods and G&S.

If its just wood your after , then go to British Hardwoods. They have a good selection and will let you pick and choose what you want, then tally it all up.

G&S (when i went about a year ago) had a good selection of tools but less on the timber front. Got some cracking hardwood dowels from there.

Hi
You did say in your original post you were in the Northwest near Liverpool. I added one timber yard to the list in the North West it is:-
Houghton Timber
High Walton Mill
nr Preston
Lancashire
PR5 4DG
01772 323566

It is actually on two sites and family run. They are hoping to have one site for timber storage and another for machining. George seems to be in charge. However they are quite dysfunctional. In the past George has been very helpful and willing to dimension timber for me. Lately however his extended family have become involved and he has said it does not pay to help out the hobbyist. He said he had some western red cedar for me which I ordered but it never turned up. He said he had been searching for it but that someone else had sold it of but he didn't bother to let me know. Dependent upon what you want he usually lets you have a look. At the moment however he is only at the mill on Wednesday and Saturday mornings.
Perversely we have a large hardwood timber importer on our doorstep "Hardwood Timber" in Huyton but they don't sell to the public.
C.W Berry in Leyland has a little known hardwood timber section in its huge yard. you can walk round and select what you want but they are unable to machine it onsite.
In my search for dry cedar Hardwood timber pointed me in the direction of Haldane Fisher in Garstang who had three pallets full but very little other hardwoods.
Hope this helps.

Mal

I moved from Southend-on-sea in Essex to Formby on Merseyside and have had the same problem. I found one dealer with some stock near the docks, but eventually bough from Latham's Leeds depot. I had two deliveries.
400+kg of sawn poplar/tulip wood in about 20 of 160-300 mm random width boards of 32,38,50 mm thickness up to 4.2 m in length.
14/16 boards 18mm, mostly birch faced ply, some moisture resistant mdf.
The sawn stock was excellent, no splits, cupping or warped boards with minimal knots. The Birch was BB grade but cut in repair patches were about 2 per board and you could easily box around. It was so good I have not painted one of the built in units, finishing it with satin acrylic varnish instead.
They do have a minimum delivery cost of £350, I think, for free delivery. They may also delay processing an order as they do not like delivering to residential addresses and may well google map you to check access.

https://www.lathamtimber.co.uk/?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=bing
Colin

kitchen diner - 3-1600.jpg

Hi
You did say in your original post you were in the Northwest near Liverpool. I added one timber yard to the list in the North West it is:-
Houghton Timber
High Walton Mill
nr Preston
Lancashire
PR5 4DG
01772 323566

It is actually on two sites and family run. They are hoping to have one site for timber storage and another for machining. George seems to be in charge. However they are quite dysfunctional. In the past George has been very helpful and willing to dimension timber for me. Lately however his extended family have become involved and he has said it does not pay to help out the hobbyist. He said he had some western red cedar for me which I ordered but it never turned up. He said he had been searching for it but that someone else had sold it of but he didn't bother to let me know. Dependent upon what you want he usually lets you have a look. At the moment however he is only at the mill on Wednesday and Saturday mornings.
Perversely we have a large hardwood timber importer on our doorstep "Hardwood Timber" in Huyton but they don't sell to the public.
C.W Berry in Leyland has a little known hardwood timber section in its huge yard. you can walk round and select what you want but they are unable to machine it onsite.
In my search for dry cedar Hardwood timber pointed me in the direction of Haldane Fisher in Garstang who had three pallets full but very little other hardwoods.
Hope this helps.

Mal
Thank Mal, much appreciated.

in manchester it's the same rubbish here as well, there's very little here, treestation are the only one I know of in Gorton, but good luck trying to get them to book you in! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back