Norris infill info please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvum

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone and happy new year, I have been lucky enough to obtain an early, no adjuster, so probably pre 1913, Norris number 4 plane. It has lost most of the front "bun" and the top of the horn, it also had the obligatory spots of white paint, I have spliced in a new tip to the rear handle and the front bun is a work in progress.
Nevertheless after a gentle de rusting, WD and steel wool after WD and 240 grit and flattening the sole it produces 2 thou wispy shavings from a piece of walnut . Now to my question after the gloat. The iron has been well used with only about an inch useable, the cap iron is clearly marked Norris London, the iron is marked Robert Sorby warranted cast steel with two marks a maltese/Templar cross and a kangaroo. Can any one give me a clue as to the date of the iron and is it contemporaneous with the plane please?

I'm no historian, but all of the old Norris and buck marked planes that I've come across have ward irons and the newer ones have had Norris marked irons made by robt sorby.

Back