Norris A7 Construction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldSchoolTools

Established Member
Reaction score
I read a few old threads from a while ago with regards to how the adjuster to this type of plane works, also had a member off the forum pm me to see if I knew, so have decided to upload a few photogaphs of mine, the iron unlike the iron in a normal shoulder plane has a number of holes drilled through, this for settings as the iron wears.

The wedge has a brass hollowed out disk in the top this is for the top infill to screw down into to hold the iron secure.
these irons are so much more desirable to look at than those of a standard shoulder plane iron you can apprciate the craftsmanship that has gone into making the iron, obviously comes at a price, the adjuster itself is simple only a couple of inches long overall, a shorter version to that found on your smoothers or jointer planes.

Note all the parts have the same number 0 in this planes case prooving all original the 0 on the plane itself is on the heel below the adjuster. I have lost of shoulder planes but none have the features of this norris. Hope the pictures explain to those that have asked me to show.

a7005.jpg

a7009.jpg

a7010.jpg

a7008.jpg

a7012.jpg

a7011.jpg

a7006.jpg

Thanks for that - those of us not lucky enough to own one can at least see what people mean now. The quality is clear from the photos!

Many thanks for this - it is very rare to find detailed pictures of the inner workings of these classics. For those of us attempting to emulate them without a hope of owning an example, this stuff is gold dust.

A little more information,

the iron I would say is almost full length it has had little use and measures 210mm long overall, the centre of the first or bottom adjuster hole measures 100mm from the honed edge of the blade, then there are a further three holes at 8mm centres from the first.
The holes are 5mm diameter but this would depend on what size your adjuster pin is on your adjusting mechanism.

A bit of technical advise but important I should think if attempting to copy.

Kind Regards Gary

Whilst the technical stuff is fascinating, I'm lost in admiration at the skill and artistry in the terminal chamfering at the heel.

Wow. And probably took 5 minutes to do. A bit like calligraphy.

BugBear

bugbear":1emxyhae said:
Whilst the technical stuff is fascinating, I'm lost in admiration at the skill and artistry in the terminal chamfering at the heel.

BugBear

Agreed, and I like that comparison. Freehand with a file = freehand with a pen. And you have to get it right first time.

AndyT":2qyjm7zc said:
bugbear":2qyjm7zc said:

BugBear

Agreed, and I like that comparison. Freehand with a file = freehand with a pen. And you have to get it right first time.

And an expert makes it looks easy. And it takes a long time to become an expert. I meant all that too... :D

BugBear

Back