Norris A5 dovetailed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St3v3.

Reaction score
Hello All,
New to your forum but reading some of your posts i may be in the right place. Im after some info on a Norris A5 plane which was found in my late father in laws shed.
but im having trouble getting photos on to here .....

05012012102.jpg

05012012101.jpg

05012012100.jpg

Oh dear! It is (not to me!) a rather valuable plane you have there. As for spares... You are probably better off fixing it yourself

Aidan

As Tiddles says....it is better to be fixed yourself.

In actual fact...if you are very careful you can glue it back into place with Titebond Original. Leave at least 24 hours before you use it...and it will be almost invisible.

Post some pictures of the damage and I can assess it better.

You will have to advertise it as having a repaired handle but there will still be a market for it....

It's not the most valuable of the Norris examples...but it was boxed and in great nick compared with some. A fair amount of the ones I have seen have broken handles for that very reason...over the years they are bound to get dropped and that is a fair lump of steel you have there!

If you are nervous about your ability to fix it, I would be happy to fix it for you if you pay the round trip postage.....

Jim

Welcome Steve,

Blimey, there's an offer - Jim'll Fix It :) And I'd strongly recommend you taking him up on it.

Re value, a bit depends on how much of the iron (blade) remains and how much wear there is on the adjuster threads.
If it does have plenty of iron life left and still has a good, tight adjustment it's well worth mentioning the fact.

Doh! just seen you did mention the iron length - though I wouldn't buy a plane without seeing at least a good photo of the back, flat side of the iron to be sure there was no pitting. So few on eebay include one.

Judging by the amount of iron sticking out from the cap iron I would say it has been lightly used.

If the adjuster is tight then it is a very good collector..

Jim

jimi43":txw8utgz said:
Judging by the amount of iron sticking out from the cap iron I would say it has been lightly used.

Jim
...or user :p It's a plane after all and meant to take of those long, thin fluffy things called shavings. Nice lump of plane btw, but not for me - Rob

woodbloke":2pv4hxju said:
jimi43":2pv4hxju said:

Jim
...or user :p It's a plane after all and meant to take of those long, thin fluffy things called shavings. Nice lump of plane btw, but not for me - Rob

Indeed Rob....indeed!

I actually prefer the Spiers planes...the Bentleys rather than a Rolls or should it be the father rather than the flashy son?

The adjuster is what sets the Norris apart from other British infills but I don't really find the lack of one an obstacle. Particularly since the premium of having one is quite large.

Jim

jimi43":1pcqn5wb said:
I actually prefer the Spiers planes...the Bentleys rather than a Rolls or should it be the father rather than the flashy son?

Jim
Ineresting analogy Jim, they're both as good as one another I suspect, just as the Bently was and still is the equal of a Royce (never a 'roller' :twisted: btw, even if they're now a re-badged BMW...running gear anyway) as Benlty was the only firm that Henry Royce ever took over - Rob

Hi all,

Amazing how much extra value can be conferred on a Norris by having the box (Waka take note!!) :p :p
Nice plane but I think £400 is right up there.
Hope the fix on the tote goes well.

BTW Rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated! :p :p :p

Cheers all!

Martin

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum.

Very nice plane. Shame you had butter-fingers! But, take up Jim's offer. You won't regret it.
I had a Spiers example, virtually identical in construction. I found the handle too small, but once the plane was sharpened and set properly it was a dream to use.
Mine had no adjuster, the front button was damaged, and it wasn't in a box. I still raised £100.00 for it.

Enjoy the forum.
John :)

Latest posts

Back