Norms small Circular Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I caught a couple of older episodes recently, and noticed that he had this wee-small circular saw (6" blade I think), anyone know whether anything like this sells in the UK?

I've been getting a bit frustrated usign a full-size circular saw when i want to do a bit of trimming or cutting thin boards..

BB
I think he calls it a "trim saw"?
I haven't seen any powered versions although the cordless circular saws look suspiciously similar?
Hope this helps
Philly :D :wink:

It's a Porter Cable 314 Trim Saw, which uses a 4 1/2" blade (115mm), so it's even smaller than most of the little cordless ones....

Might be worth a look on Ebay for second hand ones,

I picked up an old B&D dn56 a while back for about £12 inc postage.
Its a nice little saw 5" blade and made when B&D still used metal for there blade guards etc.
Looks like this btw
dn56.jpg

cd

BB
I have a Dewalt cordless (trim) saw - 115mm blade. It's incredibly handy - firstly because of it's size, and secondly because it's cordless. Plus there's far less danger in using it than it's larger (very heavy) corded brother.
Having said that I wouldn't say it's gives quite a finish cut as the corded saw can.
Cheers
Gidon

Hi BB, this is my small saw
P1310006.jpg
[/img]

This was my first purchase after I got married in 1957, cost £21-50. more than twice my weekly wage. Paid for it 10shillings a week (50p).

Table size 12inch by 9inch and a 5 inch blade, and it has done some fantastic work over the years. Has rise and fall but no tilt.

They were made in Rugeley in Staffordshire, but the firm Blood & Son have long gone.

Saw the big brother to this saw on ebay just before Christmas going for £20, wish I had bought it now

Guard removed for photographic purposes :whistle: :whistle: :^o

Cheers Alan.

Guy's thanks for the info, seems I wasn't the only one that saw it - (get it? :lol: :lol: ) for a while I thought I got my wires crossed.

Seems, I may be able to import the porter-cable tool, i'll update if I find out anymore..

BB

BB
Let us know how you get on with Maxtool - I was looking at using them last week - but slightly strange setup. You speak directly to someone in the states and I couldn't understand if prices were still subject to import duty. The lady said not but I can't understand how that would work.
Cheers
Gidon

I personally would not hand over any money to a US site that quotes in GBP and promises to pay import duty not to mention using a misleading address(.co.uk) in their URL. Too much like Nepco (just do a forum search) or Mydv both of which have now been closed by the authorities in the States.
Sure, I maybe wrong but if it looks like a duck and smells like......
If you really want a worm drive trim saw there's plenty of reputable US sites that offer a PC or Skil for less than $200 USD. Don't forget shipping, Vat, EU import tax and customs clearance.

Noel

For a small 6" circ saw, i can recommend the Perles machine, i think it's model KS50 off the top of my head.

We have sold hundreds of them over the years, and never had one break down under warranty. We have lots of plumbers that use them for cutting up floor boards, which is serious hard work, especially for such a small saw, and they never burn out. Expect to pay between £60 -£80 ish.

Matt.

Hi,
I sold mine on ebay just before christmas...i owned it for 3 years and only ever used it once......not a great saw really.....i used a DW62 and the festool more often than not....it sold for £30 by the way so not a lot of interest,
Only decent PC stuff i have left is the routers, pocket cutter and chop saw. The one Norm used for years then upgraded. It is a cracker the laser guide on it is amazingly accurate i can see why he kept it for all those years.

Ian

Hi BB,

I have a Skilsaw model no. 5140 circ saw. With a 130mm blade in it & a 16mm bore. 500 watt. It is a cracking little machine, I use it for cutting down ply to a reasonable size to enable me to run it through the sawbench.
I have had a look around the net for you and have come up with this site.
Mine cost me a mere £25 at the woodworking show 'bout 3 years ago, and I see by this site they are offering the same one for only £27.50. so it hasn't gone up that much.
I hope this helps.
http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-324419/skil-5140-500w-circular-saw.html
All the best
Trev.

Thanks for the link trev - does look a good tool, excellent price too, like you i'll probably mostly be using it for ripping ply into manageble sizes.

I think is a better bet than the PC one :)

Latest posts

Back