NORMS NEW SERIES

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
NORMS NEW SERIES STARTED TODAY 1400HRS ON REAL TIME. HE MADE A KITCHEN ISLAND UNIT OUT OF PRE FINISHED PLY, NOT VERY INSPIRING. ONE POINT THOUGH, THE AMERICANS REFER TO A R.O.D. AS A PICTURE BOARD.

1701 2005 Arts and Crafts Style Hall Mirror
1702 2005 The Bermuda Bench/Table
1703 2005 The Ottoman
1704 2005 Bermuda Chest
1705 2005 Federal-Style Game Table
1706 2005 Lathe 101
1707 2005 Side Chair
1708 2005 Tilt Top Table
1709 2005 Highboy Part One
1710 2005 Highboy Part Two
1711 2005 Kitchen Island
1712 2005 Carved Wooden Signs
1713 2005 The Library System
1801 2006 Colonial Fireplace Mantel
The kitchen island is near the end of the series

I was having my lunch about 2 o'clock so I got to see Norm (first time for a while). I would have to say, though, that my definition of island and his differ somewhat. I would have to know my kitchen through into the living room to fit the island he built in, after I'd knocked the kitchen through into the front garden to get the island into the house! ](*,)

As much as I mock him, he has taught me a lot.

Further to Barry's post, this is what's been broadcast on Discovery Real Time (Sky 133), with my "instant assessments":

12/12/2005 Arts & Crafts Hall Mirror - useful
13/12/2005 The Bermuda Bench/Table - even Norm said "not a good bench or table"
14/12/2005 Footstool and Ottoman - more upholstery than woodwork
15/12/2005 Bermuda Chest on Frame - ungainly-looking
16/12/2005 Federal-Style Game Table - good design
19/12/2005 Lathe 1O1 - a bit basic
20/12/2005 Side Chair (Dining Chair) - interesting and difficult
21/12/2005 Tilt Top Table (Lozenge shaped) - weird-looking top, but interesting
22/12/2005 Queen Anne Bonnet-top Highboy Part One - "heirloom" piece, horrendously expensive to build
23/12/2005 Highboy Part Two
05/01/2006 Carved Wooden Signs - some interesting router techniques
06/01/2006 The Library System (Bookshelves) - good solid project
09/01/2006 Kitchen Island - massive island, but some good ideas, apart from the recycling section hardware.

That's the whole series and repeats are already being broadcast and scheduled for the rest of this week.

I've got all thirteen on my digital recorder, adverts removed. I must back them up to DVD soon. :wink:

BTW, went over to Wealden Tool Company this afternoon to get a few bits, as it's only a few miles from where I live. Very helpful and knowledgeable chap - came away impressed (and clutching the 2006/7 catalogue). :)

Ray.

Whilst I do admit to being a bit of a Normite and like many others here, he got me interested in woodwork, I don't actually like very many of the things that he makes !!!

I watch him mainly for the construction rather than the finished article.

Do other people actually like his choice of projects and get inspired to make them ?

Jeff

I think it all depends on your hobby/work. For me, I tend to make items that are needed/requested rather than having the opportunity to build a specimen piece. Also, Norm is building for the US market, which does differ from the UK.

Mdotflorida":vh26upgq said:
Do other people actually like his choice of projects and get inspired to make them ?

Yeah I have made quite a lot of his stuff. Examples.

Shaker bookcase
Tall case oak clock
Wine unit
Router table
Adirondack loveseat
Adirondack chairs
Patio table
Computer desk
Medicine cabinet

I'm in for planning permission at the moment and if successful the kitchen island from the current series will be added to the list.

The main reason I use other peoples plans is I'm not confident enough to design my own stuff. I've designed the units for my home cinema equipment and dvd's etc myself out of walnut but while they look ok they didn't really turn out as good as I hoped. I really would love to improve in the design aspect of woodworking.
neilc

Ray my list is from the Norm website
Barry, I posted the broadcast details to clear up the suggestion that the new series was just starting, whereas it's just finished. No doubt there will be copious repeats, as usual. Did anyone else spot that they used the blue/green titles on a couple of the new ones?

Mdotflorida":t0acxsjr said:
I watch him mainly for the construction rather than the finished article.

Do other people actually like his choice of projects and get inspired to make them ?Jeff
I'm a lot like Jeff here - I watch for the techniques rather than the projects as a whole. Some of the designs have great ideas within them, whereas others are either too fussy or simply too expensive, given the price comparisons between here and the US in relation to raw materials.

That said, I'm still a big fan - I believe Norm has inspired thousands of woodworkers to stretch themselves and long may he continue to do so. :)

Ray.

0601 Colonial Style Mantel
0602 Plantation Shutters
0603 Workshop Helpers
0604 Poker Table
0605 New Yankee Shop Clock
0606 Router 101
0608 Corner Table
0609 Greek Revival Bookcase
0610 Storage Shed
0611 Wall Hung Console
0612 Corner Chair