Norm's Hand Held Bobbin Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone see Norm and his handheld bobbin sander? It looked like is was manufactured by Porter Cable.

How long have these been on the market? It looked a bit battered so it has to have been about for some time. I usually try to keep up to date with the power tool market but this one obviously got by me, so where the heck have i been. Alien Abduction i Wonder :shock: ?

I do not know if it is any good. I think that i would prefer my floor standing model. But there again mine is not portable so i suppose that it has got its uses.

What do you think?

Regards

Woody

That sad website which lists all of Norm's tools episode by episode comes in useful here :lol: - this must be the one you mean, Woody?

http://woodbutcher.net/images/normstools/pc-121.htm

According to the site it had already been around for a couple of years before Norm used it. The first episode listed here was from 2003 apparently, so it must have been around for 3 or 4 years now. Haven't seen anyone selling them in the UK though.

Cheers
Neil

Wasn't their a thread on this already?

Adam*

*Whos a bit busy to search it out at the moment?

Yes thats the one Neil. 4 years and they don't sell it over here, no wonder i haven't come across it then.

Adam i did do a search but i couldn't find anything.

Regards

Woody

I have one of those sanders and it is pretty handy. Bench Dog made a router table insert plate on which that sander can be mounted for inverted use. I have the plate installed on the router and don't bother to remove it usually when hand holding the sander. I have since modified the router table so that the plate for the sander doesn't fit but I usually just clamp it on the corner of my bench and that works fine.

I suspect the reason that it isn't anavailable on your side of the pond is that it doesn't come with a riving knife or some other safety thingummy. :lol:

I":1wzfr8gm said:
Haven't seen anyone selling them in the UK though

I tell a lie - it is on the Porter Cable UK website under sanders. Quite steep at £296.55 though :shock: - I bet you didn't have to pay $513 for it, Dave! :lol:

Cheers,
Neil

<edit, oops, crossed over with froglet & wizer there :oops:

WiZeR":3s2a077c said:
what use does a hand held one have? I missed the Norm episode.
When Norm has used it, it has been for things that are too big & heavy to take to his static version - eg this mornings episode was a king-size bed headboard.

Cheers,
Neil

In fact I think that is an ex. VAT price so it is probably more like $600!

Neil

Dave R":3n6m2t52 said:
Good grief! I could probably buy one and ship it over to you for less than that.

Careful, you could have a long line of UK woodworkers asking for you to send an every increasing number of Normite tools acrosss the pond. :shock: :roll: :wink:

Thanks guys, even after all this time i am still astounded at the unbelievable difference in price between the UK and US.

Regards

Woody

:D there you go dave R new job on the horizon ukworkshop forum USA supplys :shock: :roll: 8)

just typing the list now (now were was I ho yes page 10)

:D :D :D :D

martyn

Dave R - Yes, do be careful like Dave L says, the variation in prices between UK and US is a constant cause of frustration to English woodies & one (of many) reasons I'm now in Czechland. Talk about 'rip off Britain' If I need to import something I now look first to Germany, then USA, and ONLY then to UK.
Even Jaycar Electronics in Oz is cheaper!!

Back