Norm's Dado Head Cutter ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
I have plans to make Norm's Table Saw station for me Ferm TS. In the program he uses a Dado Head Cutter when making half lap joints, etc.

I did a quick search for Dado Head on Axminster, but could not find anything. Is this an Amaricanism? Is there a UK Equivalent?

Thanks

Stand by for another interesting discussion on dados!

The reason Axminster don't list anything is that dado cutters and table saws that can take them are of questionable legality in the EU

John

Hi Wizer
If you do a search on this site for dado, you will probably turn up one or two threads, it should tell you everything you want to know. Maybe even more.

Cheers
Steve

WiZeR, to narrow down your search a tad, put dado AND head in a search. This thread has a reasonable explanation of the situation without degenerating into too great a farce... :roll: And if you fancy a few of the alternatives to a dado head, try here.

Cheers, Alf

thanks for answering this. Sorry to have brought up an old subject.

Its a shame because in my in-experienced opinion, the SDH method seems really simple. I guess I will struggle through with the router if/when I do it.

Wizer
It really needs a suitable quality saw-but if you have one the dado is a great tool (As Norm regularly demonstrates :wink: )
Please don't attempt to fit one to your benchtop saw-you will be sorely disappointed or hurt yourself.
Save up for that Unisaw or Xcaliber and then your away! :roll:
Cheers
Philly :D

OK, I have spent some time looking for this set of posts, I could not remember the correct wording to search for. :roll:
If you look here you will find a post with a few pictures of my Wadkin, complete with dado head.
I don't use the dado head very often but it is a very quick way of rebating or grooving lots of timber, for small runs I would use a router or hand plane. I have a number of each that can be pressed into service.
The special nut for the dado set would be nice to have and would allow the whole of the set to be used, I don't have one. I can still mount a set of cutters for a 1/2" groove, the important thing is that the whole of the nut is on the arbour. The special nut effectively combines the standard nut with the front saw flange, allowing cutters up to 13/16" to be used. If anyone finds one with the correct square form thread, then let me know.

Rich (Trusses),
I have looked though the Wadkin operating instructions and cannot find any reference to the size of dado set that can be used on the saw, they are usually a bit smaller than the normal blade, after all you are unlikely the be cutting more than 1/2" or 3/4" deep grooves and it help to keep the weight down, my set is 8".

Thanks for that link, not seen it before.
Yes I have a couple of friends who could make them if pushed, but I have not felt the need of one, so far. :roll:

I think my one is the same as this one from Machinemart, a bit cheaper than Rutlands as well. :)
I have cut 1/4" grooves with mine, the Rutlands advert says it starts a 12.7 mm. :?

yeah, the machine mart ad says 6.25 - 20mm I think.

I will be wanting to be making dado's for 3/4 ply - whatever size that is these days. :?

I might see if I can get through to wadkin sales for the nut, as I think they still sell some spares for the AGS

Argee":2lql3n8o said:
WiZeR":2lql3n8o said:
I did a quick search for Dado Head on Axminster, but could not find anything. Is this an Amaricanism? Is there a UK Equivalent?
Rutlands do an 8" set here.

Enter "Freud dado set" in Google's UK pages and a few more options appear. HTH :)

Ray.

Thanks for that Ray, tho this thread is from 2005 and it's fair to say I am now well versed in Dado's ;)

Back