Norm in Hand Tool Shocker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone caught the latest series of the New Yankee Workshop? Norm is using more and more hand tools (maybe by demand or maybe He's just "getting it" :lol: )
Just finished watching the Federal Game Table episode-big shock! :shock:
He cut dovetails, mortises and tenons by hand!!!! What a guy! :norm: \:D/
To be fair, the hand tools he used looked like they just came out of the wrapper :lol: but it certainly is nice to see the Big Man using hand tools.
Cheers
Philly :D

Yes I was shocked by this as well. Thought it must be an imposter at first. Chisels, Japanese saws etc ... what's the world coming to. Just when I am starting to think about a table saw as well :shock:

I remember reading in an article Norm saying he enjoys using hand tools. Time limitations and what the majority of viewers want dictate his use of primarily machines on the show. Remember, he's got just over 20 minutes to introduce, make and finish a project. Not alot of time to hand cut dovetails every week.

Brent

As shocked as I was (being fairly new to the NYW still) I also noticed the man's wearing a few cuts and scars on his bare hands as well...

:D

Brent":kc62j6c7 said:
I remember reading in an article Norm saying he enjoys using hand tools. Time limitations and what the majority of viewers want dictate his use of primarily machines on the show. Remember, he's got just over 20 minutes to introduce, make and finish a project. Not alot of time to hand cut dovetails every week.

Brent
Thank God for that too.. last thing I want to see is another "hand cut dovetail" video or article, never mind an ongoing series of them.. in fact they should be banned.. they are not, whether hand or machine cut, the be all and end all of craftsmanship. in fact they aren't even close. they are not hard to make and they don't look so great either unless they are suited to the piece which most are not, and balanced extremely well, again, which most are not..

to amateurs they look like craftsmanship, to craftsman they look amateur and scream Saturday boot sale item..

You mean afreegreek is abothersometroll. No intro, no details and almost every post is an argument or disagreement. At least he managed to post just the once this time

Ironballs":2psb91de said:
You mean afreegreek is abothersometroll. No intro, no details and almost every post is an argument or disagreement. At least he managed to post just the once this time
a differing opinion or point of view is welcome in most places, obviously this is not one of them..

afreegreek is a professional cabinetmaker with nearly three decades in the trade and has a string of completed projects that would stretch across the Atlantic Ocean. although he loves tools and has quite a collection (yes, a collection) he believes tools are a means to an end and that it's the project that counts not the tools it was made with. he is a professional. that means he pays his rent and puts food on the table with his work. that also means he has a belt sander sitting right on top of the cabinet he keeps his (20 or so) hand planes in and uses it. (just like the "old timers" would had they had one)

BTW, he didn't do anything differently last time than he did any other time posting here, it's obviously a system glitch as one hit of the SUBMIT button should result in only one post.

afreegreek may be abothersometroll but ironballs they're not.

Ironballs":611ngq3b said:
I was begining to think he was a friend of Grim.

He may be a craftsman, but his manner is as rough as my workmanship.

Cheers, Vann

I don't see a problem with saying dovetails are over rated. It's like maths, some things are just learning a formula and somethings you actually need to understand fully to execute. Dovetails are like learning a formula. I don't see any point in berating someone for expressing an opinion. I'm quite sick of the focus on dovetails as well.

I hope that people feel free to continue to post stuff in this forum about the basic joints used in hand-worked cabinetmaking. I am one of the sad amateurs that spend whatever spare time he gets trying to master these and who welcomes all the useful stuff you professionals pass on.

I also hope no one comes onto the hand tools forum and says we shouldn't be talking endlessly about hand tools and how to use them and keep them sharp. I need all the help I can get and have learnt loads from everyone else's posts.

And I just don't read the threads that don't sound interesting.
thanks
Simon

I used to watch NYW in the 90's when it came as a free channel in the Milton Keynes area cable package and miss Norms take on things. He is first and foremost a craftsman with the knowledge to go with it, if he enjoys the process of working with hand tools all the better. I can understand the pressures of working faster and with sponsers tooling for the networks benefit(and to keep the job) but feel he imparted quite a bit of his own soul in any project you saw.
It has been said that the British work with hand tools aided by power tools while the Americans work with power tools aided by hand tools! :norm:
Both hand and power tools have their place..... but... the satisfaction one gets from making hand cut dovetails that fit just so (or a m&t joint) is worth more than the pay check at the end. (Just don't tell my clients I said that :lol: )
Rob.

Chris Knight":1hpau3dv said:
Guys,

Feel free to discuss dovetails to your hearts' content - just be careful of feeding the trolls!

I would guess that's troll singular - and isnt running two accounts against the rules - like Ib said if you know its a troll why not just ban it.

Latest posts

Back