Norm and a Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKTony

Established Member
Reaction score
Watched yesterdays Norm show and he cut a plank a 12/14 inch wide 1 inch thick plank down the middle on a saw. Its not a bandsaw so what is it, if these things are commercially available they would be of great help for the fretsaw?

Any Ideas?

T

I think your diecribing a resaw machine.....its basically just a heavy duty bandsaw that can be fitted with huge 3-4" blades.

In operation.....

resaw_2.jpg

and a machine.....although a bit more industrial than norms :D

http://www.cmm.com.tw/catalogue/band_re ... _resaw.asp

SimonA

Yeah, Tony its a band re-saw. They take a bandsaw blade with carbide tips, and they love ripping down big planks.
Most timber suppliers have one. Oh, and of course, Norm!
cheers
Philly :D

Excellent Gents

Do they make one for the small shop, if not is there a Bandsaw that would do a similar job i waste so much wood on the thicknesser to get pieces ready for the Scrollsaw

Hi Tony,
I have heard that it is possible to buy carbide tipped bandsaw blades for this purpose. I saw one in a Felder c atalogue last year I think. I have never asked Duredge about them maybe worth a try.

I like Norm, I really do, but sometimes...

In a progamme earlier in the week (don't recall the project, but it involved some very thin pieces of wood) he uttered words to the effect of, "If you don't have a planer I don't know how you'd make this project".

Of course, the thing he was making was a copy of an original at least 100 years old :).

Did see him use a chisel and a block plane, though!

So it looks like a high end Bandsaw with a Resaw capable blade would be my best bet. Since im in the market for a new bandsaw to cut blanks for the lathe, i hope i may be able to combine the two requirements??

ps Someone may need to move this thread to the Buying bit :?:

No-don't go mad there UKTony!
I have a Record Select RSBS14, with 8 inch depth of cut-it will re-saw quite happily. And a lot cheaper than an industrial machine.
Also, look in the new copy of Good Woodworking for reviews of the new carbide tipped band saw blades.
regards
Philly :D

beech1948":332ohyp8 said:
Hi Tony,
I have heard that it is possible to buy carbide tipped bandsaw blades for this purpose. I saw one in a Felder c atalogue last year I think. I have never asked Duredge about them maybe worth a try.

I asked Dure edge and they don't have them.

I use Dure Edge blades to resaw Oak and they wrok really well

waterhead is correct robert ingham did feature an hitachi bandsaw in an article he said he had imported it from america,from this i took it that it was not available in g.b. i think your talking big money.

Back