"Norm Abram in Hand Cut Dovetail shock"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrisminordriver

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, "Norm Abram in Hand Cut Dovetail shock" was the headline in the September edition of the US mid west woodworking magazine, "Cut that Joint". The writer, Stanley B. Ware, reported:
"In the latest series of NYW, our bearded hero, Norm Abram makes a stylish walnut side table. Following 30 years of power tool use, Norm took the brave step of attempting to cut dovetail joints for the drawer.....
B Y H A N D !!"
It goes on to inform that.....
"...a member of the woodworking forum "Galoots R US" was available to support Norm through this process and ensure that he used the correct end of the chisel, and pushed and pulled the handsaw in order to complete the cuts..."
Following the programme ( which was aired on UK television Home and Leisure this morning coincidentally!), a medical representaive from Porter Cable confirmed that Norm has had counselling from one of their senior medics and is recovering well from the experience. He is expected to make a full recovery and will be making full use of power tools very soon. The rep finished with the statement:
"God bless America, Norm and the power router".
What next I wonder!?.

This posting is so unfair. Why do people always try to knock our childhood superheroes? MorrisMinorDriver, you are obviously a very bad person!!!

You couldn't have read the October issue, where Stanley makes a full retraction. He also admitted to being on the payroll of Irwin Hand Tools.

How do I know all of this? Well, as a subscriber, I receive my copy before it hits the shops.

Also, I strongly object to you using the shortened version of the name for this venerable magazine. The full title is, of course, "Only Ever Cut That Joint with a Shiny New 5hp PC Router and Leigh Jig."

I can remember, at least, three occasions when our beloved superhero actually picked up a long piece of thin metal with some funny sort of twisted bits underneath, that looked a lot like crooked teeth. It even had a sort of "D shaped" wooden handle. I must admit that "the hand tool", if that is what it was, looked a little rusty and possibly not quite scary sharp. But, hey, who really needs any of these old hand tools nowadays?

I have now checked my extensive superhero video library and can confirm, quite categorically, that our superhero used one of those hand tool saw thingys on FOUR occasions and he also used a chisel twice. I am happy to upload the video clips, if further proof is required.

I look forward to a fulsome apology.

:wink:
Cheers

Neil

Aha...!Messrs Newbie Neil - come clean I know youre really Nantucket lawyers looking for a suit...or was that Nantucket suitors looking for a lawyer? - what the heck...

Fulsome apology....?, Im not sure i am able to do this, after all, Im only reporting what was printed...anyhow most of your comments need individual responses.

Super hero? - Norm was asked how he felt about this reference in October 1994 when recording an episode of This Old Shed (forerunner to Thgis Old House) and claimed..."that super hero jibe is not true, Ive never worn my pants outside of my trousers
- except at Aunt Marthas fish fry where someone spiked my sassparilla,
and Im always sure to talk about shop safety - I wouldnt bother with that if I were a super hero!"
cant argue with that logic...

Stanley B. Ware swears that he has never been in the pay of Irwin Tool, "and thats on Record" he claimed...

"Cut that joint" have had to continue with their shortened name as the legal battle with the Taiwanese Dance Instructor (Li Jig) has still not been settled...

Norm states that he had his crooked teeth fixed in 1992 and has not had them out since then, also the "d handle" was a family teething ring heirloom which he no longer needs (as his teeth are now fixed) but he did make a copy of in series 107 out of cherry wood...

So Messrs Newbie and Neil of Nantucket, I await your uploading of the video clips...I say this confidently as I am sure you do not posess these - it is a bluff and I call it!!!!!

If you feel you must contest this further, I will be happy to in either Judge Judys court or on Rickie Lake - the choice is yours.

I can't help but ask:

What on earth are you two on???!!! :lol:

Cheers, Jester

P.S. I can let you have the name of a good DFP supplier if it'd help... :wink:

Back