Norm Abram Deluxe 2 Router Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to build another router table and like many others Norm's is the one I want, but I cannot make up my mind what material to use.
I have two sheets of 12mm ply and about 10 sheets of between 18mm to 25mm hardwood veneered mdf.
We got the mdf (most of which I have used) dirt cheap because it had been stored in a damp building which left some water stains on them. When I want to use a sheet I have tried to sand the stains off, but this is very hit and miss, where some has been completely removed and others look worse.

I also want to use my Incra and Wonder fences, so the table top has to have an extended rear (27"X43"), but can I use hinges on the rear so that I can fold it down and push it up against the wall?
Whatever material I use and to keep perfectly flat I want to double up and use two pieces of mdf for the top. This will also have a Incra insert fitted. What do you think about this?

TIA

Cheers

Mike

Mike - sounds very good, I built my router table/cabinet similar to Norms. The cabinet, fence and drawers are made from 18mm MDF. The top is made from 40mm plastic laminate kitchen top edge banded with 1" oak. I've had it for about 8 or 9 years and still going strong although I have recently bought a 3HP spindle moulder which can take 1/2" router bits so most of the heavy work will revert to the SM.

I gave the cabinet a few coats of water based varnish to protect it. I have it on casters so I can move it around although loaded with bits and accessories and being made from MDF it is heavy, even with the 5" castors.

Bluekingfisher":1hil66nv said:
Mike - sounds very good, I built my router table/cabinet similar to Norms. The cabinet, fence and drawers are made from 18mm MDF. The top is made from 40mm plastic laminate kitchen top edge banded with 1" oak. I've had it for about 8 or 9 years and still going strong although I have recently bought a 3HP spindle moulder which can take 1/2" router bits so most of the heavy work will revert to the SM.

I gave the cabinet a few coats of water based varnish to protect it. I have it on casters so I can move it around although loaded with bits and accessories and being made from MDF it is heavy, even with the 5" castors.

8 or 9 years what more can you ask for.

Chears

Mike

Hopefully Douglas will post some pictures of his one....it has undergone a few iterations and ended up with a Corian top and looks the biz along with the Axminster lift.

Jim

Mike.C":33ay8s4l said:
I am about to build another router table and like many others Norm's is the one I want, but I cannot make up my mind what material to use.

Whatever material I use and to keep perfectly flat I want to double up and use two pieces of mdf for the top.

Have you looked at the plywood Jewson's are now doing? it called 'Wisa Twin' it's comparable to Birch ply but a lot cheaper. Not sure if MDF is the best really, specially if you are going to screw some parts together, screw into the end of mdf and it splits.

If you are going to use mdf for the top, I would make sure the uprights are flat and true then fix on your first sheet of mdf before gluing on the second, this will negate any tendency for the mdf to cup or bend when glued. I made the mistake of gluing them together first, put on more than enough weight but it still bent. Ended up using 2 layers of 18mm Birch ply for the top with some oak trim then linseed oil and waxed it, very tough and very rigid.

Andy

andy, what are the prices of the wisa twin compared to birch ply in say 9, 12 and 18mm?

marcros":2cq4x1hg said:
andy, what are the prices of the wisa twin compared to birch ply in say 9, 12 and 18mm?

Roughly half, do a search for Wisa twin and it should come up on the Jewsons site, don't know if there will be prices though, you will have to try giving them a bell and it may have to be ordered if it's a smaller outlet. It is very good stuff, multi layers, stable and a nice surface ready for finishing.

Andy

Back