noob urgently needs advice on choosing circular saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_SAMa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Sam, I'm new to DIY, and I've come here to get some advice on buying my first saw. I live in Germany and please excuse me for using metric units :p
I've decided to buy a circular saw for cutting lumber, so could you guys please suggest some good saws for a noob like me? I am on a budget here so please try to find something under 90 EURO. I dont need any fancy features or accessories, just a durable, easy-to-use circular saw for an amateur :)
The 80 Euro Bosch PKS 40 seems like quite a piece of tool for its price (and it's on sale over here in a local shop :p), so can any of you tell me more about it. I would like to hear some opinions from those of you who use/have used the Bosch PKS 40.
thanks in advance
Sam

Hi Sam
Welcome to the forum. Whilst I have never owned that particular saw I can say that Bosch "green" tools are from their DIY range and are generally very well regarded within the limitations of their design. I have in the past owned several Bosch green power tools and they have all been of acceptable quality for the cost. However these tools will never be as durable or accurate as tools designed for the professional and I would now with the benefit of hindsight always opt for a lower end professional tool over a seemingly higher specified "diy" version on the basis of quality will always out. Many diy tools have added value extras designed to appeal to a certain type of purchaser, where as a pro tool at a given price point may be basic but should be rugged and reliable.
Have a look here to see what your budget should get you in a professional tool. Think carefully about how you are going to use it, there is no point paying a premium for a saw that will cut to 70mm if all you are ever going to cut is 18mm sheet material.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEWALT-D23620 ... 1826wt_689

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSCH-GKS-160 ... 1414wt_689

Hope this is of some use to you

Cheers
Richard

thanks a lot :D
i really want to buy one of those, but for some reason they cost a lot more over here in Germany... (cant post links, but GKS 160 costs about 180 euro)
i just wanted to ask if PKS 40 is good as an entry-level saw?
im gonna be cutting some 4.4cm by 9.6cm and 4.4cm by 4.4cm lumbers (thats like 2" by 4" and 1 3/4" by 1 3/4" in inches, i think), and since its my first saw, im only gonna use it for like 2 years or so. so its fine as long as its not something that breaks in 5 minutes.

I believe the depth of cut of that saw is only 40mm, so you'll not get all the way through your 4.4cm timber with that.

Other than that I've had the PKS46 as my first and only circular saw since about 1996 and I've never had any problems with it.

I've used it hand held and mounted upside down in a table (the Wolfcraft Mastercut 1000).

My local tool shop says a lot of people come in intending to buy a Metabo and end up leaving with a Hitachi - I think the C7SB2 is the one in question but I'm not sure (it has a much nicer looking cast base than the pressed steel found on most other saws) so they may be worth a look.

HTH

Back