Noob chainsaw advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sploo":164qvix7 said:
Chain - good point.

Ripping chain - I don't know enough about chainsaws to know how easy (safe/appropriate) it is to put a different chain on a saw - but I understanding it's a "91" (in terms of length?)

50" dia is the kind of stuff I'd love to be able to do :D

I saw a log of kauri pine on a trailer in the Kauri Museum at Matakohe in NZ (a must if you ever get there) - on the wall was the bar of the single ended chainsaw used to log it - it was eight feet long. I also had a "Cornish" pasty with carrots and peas in it. :shock: Sacrilege of the very highest order.

duncanh":37uthc8z said:
acewoodturner":37uthc8z said:
Can everyone please stop calling it a blade! Its a bar and chain. Two separate items. BTW Oregon do make a ripping chain. Check their website out as I cant recall their part no. I use Stihl ripping chain myself. I also sharpen brand new chain before I use it, but there again I am milling anything up to 50" dia logs.

Mike

Out of interest - what saw are you using? Presumably a Stihl 880 or equivalent with a monster bar on it.[/quote
I have a Stihl 88 and also a 066. I use a 36" bar on the 66 and a cannon 54" bar on the 88. I cut all my logs to 8' long as that is the size I made my kiln for. Whilst its nice to be able to mill huge logs, the planks weigh a ton and I will only plank big trees on my own if I can easily get the planks back to my van. My logging mate is now semi retired and his wife wants them to spend more time on their wee yacht in the Med. This has caused problems for me as I have to wait till he comes back and it causes problems for him as he doesn't get a lot of time to make furniture.

Back