"non slip" routing mats

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britinfrance

Reaction score
I have seen these mats used in woodworking videos on the net, but have never had the courage to use one, instead going to elaborate lengths to clap timber in place. Has anyone out there used these mats successfuly, on a regular basis and are there any 'do's and don'ts to observe when using them? Thanks in advance

They are incredibly handy not only for routing but also when sanding, as Bob eludes to care should be taken to ensure any router cutter can’t come into contact with the mat.

Don't get one 'caught' in a belt sander!!! Don't ask!! :dunno:

Other than that pretty useful!

If you mean this stuff :

1605277053267.png

I personally don't think it's very good. Too thin. I much prefer using reconstituted foam. You only need it to be 1/4" - 1/2" thick.

1605277182642.png

I’ve never had that problem but perhaps try rinsing it with water

Eventually Doug, yes, that helps, though even then I find coarser woods like teak leave fine fibres embedded in the sticky surface.

I usually just shake it out vigorously. My point was, that, when sanding in particular, the mesh traps dust, apparently covering the high-friction web with slippery dust. Ergo, one has to keep an eye out for 'saturation' and lash the bee-Jasus out of it when you suspect it will slip.

Great kit for 'clamping' to pull off a quick router move, or a rapid sand, but you don't want the workpiece 'doing a Bolt'!

Sam

saw an anti vibration washing machine mat being used for this purpose on you tube recently, never tried it myself, they go for around £15 on amazon

I know he is a member here

That stuff is sold as drawer liner and anti slip dashboard liner as well.
What about some of that old fashioned rubber carpet underlay, horse stall mat etc.
I made a bunch of bench cookies using neoprene mouse mat glued to some plywood (with the rubber side out) it works brilliantly and much better than the trend ones which had too little rubber thickness on them.

Ollie

Is there a go to source? I appreciate there's a million different branding options but If any one has a link to a cheap and tested supplier I'd be grateful. Seen it on here before but never got round to getting any. I can see itbeing useful for all sorts tbh. I'm already thinking how much space and time it will save in the car when I can just get rid of the child car seats and seatbelts.
Cheers
Chris

Latest posts

Back