Non-satellite sources for HDTV

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I will try and be concise. Our prime requirements for programme material are the existing four terrestrial channels, possibly FilmFour and DVDs. We have no interest in Sky and only minimal interest in any of the other channels such as Discovery etc that are on Freeview.

Living in a rural area means that cable is not an option. Video-on-demand services via broadband using something like HomeChoice is, I suspect, unlikely to happen in my lifetime.

So I see coming down the track towards me (a) terrestrial analogue switch-off and (b) HDTV (I'm deliberately ignoring HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray...that argument will eventually resolve itself).

So I will eventually buy a Freeview PVR to cover (a). My research leads me to believe that I will not be watching our channels on HDTV via Freeview on any TV until, what, 2015? Later? So it seems to me little point in fussing about whether or not my existing plasma is HD Ready or not ..or even considering selling it and buying one that is...since there ain't going to be any realtime HDTV that I will be able to watch for a long, long time.

To cover film watching however our thinking is to install in a separate room a projector/screen/DVD (of high definition capability) for the sole purpose of watching films. So here my thinking is to get an HD Ready projector and 'watch this space' as far as the HDTV-BluRay debate goes.

What do others think?

Oh I know, I know. I think the Southwest is up for it sooner than most, but it doesn't mean I understand what all HDTV, HD-DVD stuff means. Is it at all relevant to someone who'd just like to pander to their Neighbours problem? :oops: To be honest, I have a nasty feeling we're going to end up in the unfortunate percentage who doesn't get any signal at all. Certainly Freeview is unavailable here, cable will likely never make it and the idea of giving Rupert any money at all is abhorent. Heigh ho. Might get more things done :)

Cheers, Alf

Sky is meant to being releasing HDTV tuners this year. You don't have to pay a subscription to Sky remember to get this new high resolution picture.
What was your question again ;)?
Cheers
Gidon
[Edit: Sorry just saw the title of your post :oops:. Still why rule out Sky?]

AS with Alf Cable and freeview is unavailable round this way. There's no digital signal floating around the skies either and as Roger says the switchoff looms. The only options are signing up with the likes of Sky. I wont be doing that. As far as I can see all it means for me is that Ill be saving the license fee and praps finding new topics of conversation with the good lady once she recovers from the eastenders withdrawal syndrome. Cant say that Im overly horrified by the impending darkness, good riddance to the idiots lantern I think.

Roger wrote:

Well, like it or not, folks....terrestrial analogue switch-off is coming YOUR way sooner than you might like

2011 allegedly. As for Sky - 99% ****** IMO but at least I don't pay the bill, or indeed watch very much of it. Again, no cable or Freeview here. :)

ike

Gidon wrote:
You don't have to pay a subscription to Sky remember to get this new high resolution picture

Just as well. Is it true as I have heard, that SKY HD is no where near the best quality possible of HDTV, due to signal compression?.

Ike

ike":11ju2pfd said:
Roger wrote:

Well, like it or not, folks....terrestrial analogue switch-off is coming YOUR way sooner than you might like

2011 allegedly. As for Sky - 99% ****** IMO but at least I don't pay the bill, or indeed watch very much of it. Again, no cable or Freeview here. :)

ike

I believe that is the case but could be wrong. Anyway, what's to stop Rupert changing his mind re no charge and I don't really want another satellite dish on the house!

gidon":swdhje0o said:
You don't have to pay a subscription to Sky remember to get this new high resolution picture.
Are you sure. I was under the impression that to begin with at least HDTV on Sky would be for premium channels like films.

Andrew

Ike - dunno - don't know much about the new offering - just that Sky will be offering it ...
Andrew - not sure which channels will offer HDTV and when. But it's not just the premium channels as far as I've read so far. Not a hige issue for me at the moment since I have a very old 4:3 TV!
Cheers
Gidon

mr he he the fun you will have telling them you dont own a telly and that will only be your friends and family ,when the van stops outside your house do offer them a cuppa .years ago i done the same thing i had letters then threats of court and prison and all because i didnt get a new telly when the old one broke .the kids could read and write before they went to school .how many kids in school can read and write now, have fun with out the telly

frank

Over Christmas we and our neighbors only used the tv for firing up the karaoke machine.
So I ve told that we did not miss anything on the box, but I did look at the HD tv they had in Comet and it took awhile for my eyes to get use to it.

Cheers

Back