Noisy dust extraction from a Thicknesser.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin

Established Member
Reaction score
With a lot of help from Bob I have finally got my Multico planer Thicknesser up and running and I am quite impressed - but for one thing, when I fit the chute on top and connect up the dust extractor it makes hell of a noise. ( when I first turned it on I thought the cutters were hitting the chute )

The chute is the original one but it has an outlet fitted so that a 5" flexible pipe can be attached, I am guessing that there is not enough space or airflow around the cutter / chute but not sure.

I think I have read on here about this before but I cant find it when I search - any ideas?

Thanks, Merlin

Yes it can cause a sort of siren effect of the air rushing over the bkades. Is it still noisy with the hood on but extractor off?

Yes it only starts to make the noise when the extractor is turned on.

You are quite right with the siren effect, it is very loud.

Thanks, Merlin

My Minimax machine is the same, the jointer (its a combination machine) does the same but to a lesser extent. I run the jointer without dust collection for this reason.

joez71

joez71":womrgjml said:
My Minimax machine is the same, the jointer (its a combination machine) does the same but to a lesser extent. I run the jointer without dust collection for this reason.

joez71

A good pair of ear defenders is surely a better solution than running without extraction.

Jim

You need to reduce the airflow that is going through the cutter head.

Should the tables be pulled away from the blades which increases the area of airflow around the cutter when thicknessing ?

If the above is not an option lift up the hood to allow air in or leave hood where it is and incorporate an area of ventilation within the hood, preferably behind the point at which the shavings exit the tables.

Andy

Merlin
You're pulling too much air past the cutterblock.If the collection hood sits on the planer tables try taping a couple of spacers under the hood, making a small gap between the hood and table. This should allow some air to bleed into the system and reduce the howling.
Lots of commercial hoods have cunning designs to make use of 'tooling induced airflow' this is modern European theory and not well covered on hobby sites. Have a dig about on the HSE woodworking pages for design help
Matt

Thanks for the comments, makes sense about the air flow so I have stuck on rubber spacers to pack up the base.

It made a big difference straight away but still not as good as I would like so I will be trying a few more ideas.

Thanks again, Merlin

Back