Noise level's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know how noisy 75 Db(A). is ?

I am looking for a low noise level extractor and one maker has said the above ?

but how loud is that :duno:

StevieB":s9kkflov said:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Sounds/Decibles.htm

About the same as a dishwasher or washing machine apparently......

:mrgreen: Thanks for that

so its not very noisy at all , I best go and listen to it running

Blister":2nnx263e said:
StevieB":2nnx263e said:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Sounds/Decibles.htm

About the same as a dishwasher or washing machine apparently......

:mrgreen: Thanks for that

so its not very noisy at all , I best go and listen to it running

That site does not mention anything about measuring distance. As you know as you get futher away the noise is quieter. When I was in HiFi we used to recon that 'normal' speech at 1m was about 60dB. That's not a lot of use to yuo of course, as you said best go and listen. In a workshop 75dB would sound reasonable.
xy

I've just installed an Axminster UB-801F for dedicated use with the lathe and one of the reasons I bought it was its quoted "low" noise level (65db).

It still makes what I consider to be a lot of noise, more than my single-motor Camvac HPLV extractor, and to converse with my wife when she brings me tea I have to shout or turn it (the extractor :mrgreen: ) off.

Coupled with the noise from my powered JSP respirator and the Microclene Air Cleaner I would find the noise level very tiring if using the lathe for long periods.

So my next move is to build a housing for it to locate it outside the workshop as I will be leaving it running as long as the lathe is in use.

Somebody must have very noisy washing machines! :lol:

myturn":3uwqf2cx said:
I've just installed an Axminster UB-801F for dedicated use with the lathe and one of the reasons I bought it was its quoted "low" noise level (65db).

It still makes what I consider to be a lot of noise, more than my single-motor Camvac HPLV extractor, and to converse with my wife when she brings me tea I have to shout or turn it (the extractor :mrgreen: ) off.

Coupled with the noise from my powered JSP respirator and the Microclene Air Cleaner I would find the noise level very tiring if using the lathe for long periods.

So my next move is to build a housing for it to locate it outside the workshop as I will be leaving it running as long as the lathe is in use.

:-k :-k :-k

myturn":207z5c1c said:

It may just be that a significant amount of noise is caused by air moving through the ducting, possibly setting up vibrations along the way. Try the extractor with no input ducting before going to the trouble and expense building a housing for it. If the noise drops then think about stopping vibrations in the ducting. Damping the walls, of the ducting, may help a lot.
xy

xy mosian":okxrncyy said:
It may just be that a significant amount of noise is caused by air moving through the ducting, possibly setting up vibrations along the way. Try the extractor with no input ducting before going to the trouble and expense building a housing for it. If the noise drops then think about stopping vibrations in the ducting. Damping the walls, of the ducting, may help a lot.
xy
There is no ducting, the extractor is connected directly to the lathe by 2m of flexible 4" hose.

myturn":3lojgjal said:
xy mosian":3lojgjal said:
xy
There is no ducting, the extractor is connected directly to the lathe by 2m of flexible 4" hose.

I would consider the 2m of flexible 4" hose as ducting. No matter, whatever we agree to call it, try the noise with it disconnected.

xy

xy mosian":10nc62vr said:
I would consider the 2m of flexible 4" hose as ducting. No matter, whatever we agree to call it, try the noise with it disconnected.
xy
The hose doesn't resonate as ducting would, but I have run the extractor with no hose attached when I first installed it and it is still just as noisy.
The only way to quieten it down will be to house it outside or put it it in a soundproof enclosure in the workshop. The latter will not be practical for me but putting it outside has the added advantage that I can lose the fine filter to further improve performance.

It is also all about where across the frequency spectrum the noise energy is distributed. I have a Camvac...brush motor...high frequency noise...sounds noisy. I have the Axminster chip extractor.....induction motor..nice low hum. Sounds OK. When I get a moment I'll measure the dB output of both.

High frequency often sounds noisier close by, but carries less well. At a distance outside a workshop it's the low frequencies which will be heard.

myturn":2o9irm16 said:
xy mosian":2o9irm16 said:
xy
The hose doesn't resonate as ducting would, but I have run the extractor with no hose attached when I first installed it and it is still just as noisy.
The only way to quieten it down will be to house it outside or put it it in a soundproof enclosure in the workshop. The latter will not be practical for me but putting it outside has the added advantage that I can lose the fine filter to further improve performance.

Yes I apreciate that the hose will not resonate in the same way as steel, or plastic ducting, both of which will have organ pipe tendancies. Still I feel there is likely to be noise generated as air and air borne particles fly past the ridges of the inside of the tube. But you have done the test and isolated the machine as the culprit. It does seem strange that the noise levels quoted give so much grief, unexpected. Of course further testing might show other sources of the noise, which may not be the motor, however as you say if you isolate the lot then the problem will be eradicated.

It is a shame that out enjoyment of woodworking is reduced by having to put up with such, potentially, noisey environments. This is the single biggest reason why I much prefer working by hand. I am not dependant on woodworking to provide a living and so fortunately I do have this choice.

I hope you manage to sort the problem soon. :)
xy

Sorry the hi-jack, re noise, Roger do you wear ear protection when water skiing? :lol: :lol:

Good point, but it wasn't noise exposure. Infection in one ear and skull fracture finished 'tother.

Roy.

Digit":r0pnae2s said:
Good point, but it wasn't noise exposure. Infection in one ear and skull fracture finished 'tother.
Roy.

Good gracious, what bad luck .. sorry I made a joke of it :oops:

Back