Noise levels in my workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tinnitus temp relief -

Start looking about the room, look at far and near, each time only taking a millisecond to focus on whatever object youre looking at then to the next. Look up, down over there, to this,to that.

Basically to someone on the outside you look like you should be in a care home for the seriously disabled, but i also suffer a bit and find this constantly focusing and refocusing about the room stops your brain from concentrating on the noise and effectively fools it by adding different constantly changing stimuli.
Takes only about 30 seconds if that.
Its like when talking to someone a bus passes your window. Did you hear it ?, chances are not ,not because you were talking loudly, but just because you were talking.
or having a broken whatever. it throbs, but priock yourself witht he needle on a marking gauge, did you still feel the broken bone throb, or was it the sudden sharp pain from the pricked finger. The same logic applies to dealing with tinnitus. Do something else, which ive found focus, refocus, this object that etc and the mind concentrates on dealing with that first and foremost

That's good to know - about your new NHS aids. My single unit was through the NHS and was only any good when everything was quiet,
See if they will offer you one of the newer hearing aids.
I was lucky to get a pair of NHS Danlogic Ambio danalogic Ambio | danalogic GN (not all aids have all features) They have an app which allows you to select one of four modes, All round, outdoor, restaurant, and telecoil L. Within each mode there are settings for things like noise cancelling, speech clarity. The restaurant mode allows you to set up different parameters for different restaurants, then save it. I believe it might also geo-locate the restaurant and automatically set your hearing aid to suit. You don't need to use the App to select the mode, there's a button as well, but just mode select, no customisation.
I was offered them because I'm an outdoor type, however first time I wore them cycling, one of them stopped working after. I guess they aren't suitably environmentally sealed. I get soaked while cycling, even on a dry day! The one issue, which is probably the most useful feature is.... I can't use them with my phone. That facility has not been enabled, possibly it adds to the cost. Generally, they are brilliant. Good old NHS!! what an amazing facility.

S
Tinnitus temp relief -

Start looking about the room, look at far and near, each time only taking a millisecond to focus on whatever object youre looking at then to the next. Look up, down over there, to this,to that.

Basically to someone on the outside you look like you should be in a care home for the seriously disabled, but i also suffer a bit and find this constantly focusing and refocusing about the room stops your brain from concentrating on the noise and effectively fools it by adding different constantly changing stimuli.
Takes only about 30 seconds if that.
Its like when talking to someone a bus passes your window. Did you hear it ?, chances are not ,not because you were talking loudly, but just because you were talking.
or having a broken whatever. it throbs, but priock yourself witht he needle on a marking gauge, did you still feel the broken bone throb, or was it the sudden sharp pain from the pricked finger. The same logic applies to dealing with tinnitus. Do something else, which ive found focus, refocus, this object that etc and the mind concentrates on dealing with that first and foremost
So, you know the fun of Tinnitus too? Mine began when my wife gave me a 'tender' tap around the face. It came on at FULL VOLUME jet engine at take-off in my left ear and has barely diminished in all the 40 years since. What it HAS done is to increase in volume, it's gathered additional sounds at different frequencies to such an extent that I can no longer hear what anyone is saying to me.

What I notice, in similar vein to your comment/s, is that I am able to encourage my brain to relegate it to a background noise by becoming intimately involved in another (all embracing) activity. Sometimes it might be reading a particularly enthralling story, at others focusing on making something on my metalwork lathe, or milling machine.
I cite those because if I don't focus on them I'm likely to mess up the 'piece' or damage the machine. Tinnitus does have this nasty habit, sometimes, of distracting me by increasing its volume suddenly and without notice. I count myself fortunate though, since it's never got to the point, unlike an ex-colleague, of contemplating suicide.

See if they will offer you one of the newer hearing aids.
I was lucky to get a pair of NHS Danlogic Ambio danalogic Ambio | danalogic GN (not all aids have all features) They have an app which allows you to select one of four modes, All round, outdoor, restaurant, and telecoil L. Within each mode there are settings for things like noise cancelling, speech clarity. The restaurant mode allows you to set up different parameters for different restaurants, then save it. I believe it might also geo-locate the restaurant and automatically set your hearing aid to suit. You don't need to use the App to select the mode, there's a button as well, but just mode select, no customisation.
I was offered them because I'm an outdoor type, however first time I wore them cycling, one of them stopped working after. I guess they aren't suitably environmentally sealed. I get soaked while cycling, even on a dry day! The one issue, which is probably the most useful feature is.... I can't use them with my phone. That facility has not been enabled, possibly it adds to the cost. Generally, they are brilliant. Good old NHS!! what an amazing facility.
Thanks for that suggestion. As I believe I said, my old hearing aid has literally dropped apart and so am overdue for booking a visit to the NHS Hearing Centre, so I will ask about the Danlogic Ambio. Your comment is much appreciated!

Thanks for that suggestion. As I believe I said, my old hearing aid has literally dropped apart and so am overdue for booking a visit to the NHS Hearing Centre, so I will ask about the Danlogic Ambio. Your comment is much appreciated!
tell them you spend a lot of time outdoors and wind noise is a problem (the weather) and you find when you are in a busy place you pick up too much background noise so you can't hear what people are saying. The should make a huge difference. :)

I have 2 hearing aids NHS Oticon Dynamo SP8 . These particular ones are exceptional and the best I have had. I have full ear molds due to severe loss. These have the ability to switch both aids into mute mode by pressing a button on either ear for 3 seconds then again and you are back in the real world. Before I switch a machine on in the shed I press the mute all noise gone. You have to have this set up by the hospital same as the Opticon TV attachment which you have to have paired to your aids. Unfortunately these you have to buy yourself but are Vat free.
Each hospital area are signed up to different hearing aid companies and this can be a problem. It's all to do with there individual budget.

Back