noise - I SAID NOISE!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syntec4

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys use for hearing protection. If anything, when using the power tools. especially routers and stuff that makes a racket.

Sorry

I SAID HEARING PROTECTION :D

I have loads of them foam earplugs that I wear when riding me bike. But in the workshop you can only use them once. All the sawdust sticks to them after you take them out and its not a good idea to put them back in like that.

The problem is the workshop is my only refuge from the screaming wife, sorry I mean kids :oops: And I like to listen to music while I work. I have a stereo in the workshop thats almost always on.

Do any of you have the same issue, or do you just suffer the noise for the few minutes the machine is on?
My hearing is important to me as I play guitar, I don't want to damage it any more than I already have standing in front of Marshall amps running at full tilt 8)
Cheers
Lee

I don't tend to have anything on for any great length of time,so just endure it for those few minutes.Also,I tend to use most of my tools outside most of the time (hard Northerner :wink: ) which I think isn't as loud as running them in the workshop.Still have a pair of earmuffs left over from my days on a farm,incase I ever need them though.

Personally,I think you are in more danger from standing in front of your sound system.. :lol:

Andrew

I'm sure you can buy ear muffs with built-in radio tuners of some sort, but I've always wondered how safe that would be if it comes to interfere with noise of your machine; should something go wrong or you forget it's still running or winding down to a stop.

hi everyone ,i use rubber spiral ear plugs. you just screw them in like a light bulb. they have a string that runs behind your neck so when your done they just sit on your shoulder's. they also wash easy so they last a long time. :shock:

Bilsom Viking IIs.... I've sometimes thought about those fancy jobbies with "active sound suppression" (or whatever this week's buzzword is), but I decided against having a radio as that would detract from me being able to hear my thumbs being chewed-up by the pin router. Hold on a mo', I seem to recall now it didn't actually make much of a sound..... :? Sorry, so that I can hear when a tool is cutting properly :lol: (or has just broken and pinged off beneath the table :cry: ) Can't stand the yellow plugs - they give me copious quantities of earwax to deal with, which make me go deaf.... Hold on a mo'.....
PowerTool":2t4yiaav said:
I don't tend to have anything on for any great length of time, so just endure it for those few minutes.....
Sorry PT, but eventually (a long way down the road) you may find you've done irrepairable damage - all for £10 to £20 worth of ear defenders.

Scrit

Best form of noise protection is not to use anything with a plug on it.

I don't really wear any ear protection but ive just started wearing dust masks when im sanding, health and saftey at collage taught us about some of the long term effects of inhaling sawdust for years :x

throat cancer, nasel cancer etc..

made me want to buy a big protective bubble :D

Jez":gsai0noy said:
...health and saftey at collage taught us about some of the long term effects of inhaling sawdust for years :x

throat cancer, nasel cancer etc..

Too right! My old man ended up with pneumoconiosis (sorry if that's the wrong spelling) from mahogany dust. Sort of "woodworkers lung", but either way it didn't do him a lot of good. Your college shop should have provided those yellow foam ear plugs at the very least and told you why you need them. Noise damage is a long term degradation, so you won't notice it until it is too late. Personally I find that even with ear defenders I can get some tinnitus after an 8 or 10 hour day machining (we run a CNC router here some days), although I actually find the single-end tenoner the noisiest machine.

Scrit

on the basis that you want to hear music, i suggest you try to find some of those headphones which include noise suppression. you can now i think set them at certain levels to reduce but not shut out ambient or surrounding sounds..

the film industry i know uses them .
paul :wink:

Hi Scrit

In the dim and distant past, on another forum, you gave a link to a US site for ear defenders that you were using.

IIRC that were activated by noise.

Do you still have the link?

Cheers
Neil

I wear ear defenders for everything, sanding, tablesaw, router, P/T etc, bandsaw. THe only thing I don't normally bother with them for is the drill - its basically fairly quiet.

I'm pretty good, I rarely forget and always notice now when I do, as I forget how noisy machines are so it comes as a surprise.

The ear defenders are just standard jobbies from Axminster/Rutlands type thing.

Adam

I wear the top of the line peltor ear defenders,the sort that you wear to protect you from jet engine noise.I find I can hear the radio perfectly well, as ear defenders only tend to stop damaging sound frequency's and not normal conversation.

I used to wear a pair of ordinary ear defenders, but now I've changed to these as they automatically attenuate all noise above 85db. (when the machines are running) but allow you to hear normal conversation/radio, etc. (when the machines are off) They're a little heavier than standard defenders, but I'm used to them now and I think they're worth the effort.

Ray.

Newbie_Neil":1agnf64b said:
In the dim and distant past, on another forum, you gave a link to a US site for ear defenders that you were using - IIRC that were activated by noise.
That was a couple of years ago and they died a quite while back and I couldn't get them repaired :cry: Seem to recall that they were Peltors (might be wrong there), but I couldn't replace them in the UK so I went back to the ordinary sort. If I've still got them in the shop I'll get the details and post the link.

Scrit

I wear regular ear defenders mainly when the bandsaw, router, P/T and Table saw are being used,,not so much because of noise from the machines themselves but due to the noise of the dust extractors on each of them.
Yesterday I was tidying up and the vac had been running for about 15mins leaving me with a headache which resulted in the decison to scrap the 2 portable vacs I use in favour of a DeWalt DW793 which Im off to buy shortly,, assuming the noise is acceptably lower than the existing 2.
I think its the high pitch of domestic vacs that causes the problem with me. I really do find it very uncomfortable on the ears. :x
beejay
http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

As Confucious should have said: "No wearee ear defenders? No havee any sense." [-X Doesn't take a moment to do, chaps, and deafness is no fun.

Cheers, Alf

The other day whilst picking up some dust mask cartridges, I noticed that my local industrial safety clothing outlet (Arco) had Peltors in stock. I thought about the radio version but it wasn't digital( :( ) so I went for the ordinary sort with one exception - the head band is actually a neck band (ie it goes around the back of your neck which means it doesn't get in the way of other clobber that need your head - like dustmasks).

I must say these things are so much better (quieter) than the cheapie ones from the DIY sheds - they also come in a variety of dB attentuations so you can get ones appropriate to your need.

Latest posts

Back