Noddy Router Table (A top question)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samlarsen

Established Member
Reaction score
Eve'nin All,

Here's a part built router table I'm currently working on.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/samuel ... pg&.src=ph

Wheels, small draw fronts, bottom draw, electrics and top to add yet.

I read a post lately suggesting kitchen work top might bow in service. I have a suitable length of 40mm worktop which is circa 10- years old and appears to be perfectly flat. The table I have made is ala "router magic" and has two large top supporting areas.

Is bowing of the top a concern? Given the support area here?? I intended to edge the top with 30x40 hardwood.

Also, once the hole for the base plate is cut-out (leaving rough bare chipboard in the rabate) will the surface give sufficient and reliable support to the base plate? Would I be better off scratch building a proper top with laminate and MDF?

Very grateful of the thoughts of also those who have "been there".

Cheers

Sam

Sam,

I've used old worktop for my router table and haven't had a problem with bowing at all. I put a 'balance' veneer on the bottom (which became the top as I didn't like the colour :oops: ) and it's been fine.

It has less support than you're proposing (only support at the ends) and has had a larger than average hole due to the size of a routalift.

I'd say go for it but there may be others on here who know different :wink:

Stuart

I agree with StuartPaul. The main reason kitchen worktops bow in service is moisture take-up, so seal the cut edges (including the back edge) with old gloss paint, varnish, in fact anything which would normally give you a waterproof finish on a door or the like and which you can spare (like that 'orrible green gloss you've been meaning to throw out for yonks). You could even paint the underside if you like - just don't leave the worktop in a damp/cold/unheated shed/garage for too long before doing this, or if you do trim the last few inches off the ends before using it.

Scrit

Thanks guys, thought it should be ok, cut enough large holes for sinks in the stuff before and not had a problem.

Scrit - you insulted my twice there; implied I threw things out; and poked fun at my green "stock" paint. I need that paint to finish items for people I dont want to bother me again.

Seriously tar for the info.

Sam

Back