Noddy rebate plane question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bosshogg":3p62v48v said:
andy king":3p62v48v said:
bugbear":3p62v48v said:
As an aside, it's interesting that ploughing has special words for the direction of the grain, but rebating doesn't, AFAIK.
BugBear

Hi BB,

My tutors taught me that working with the grain its a rebate, across the grain its a rabbet.
Whether this is the same nationally or world wide I don't know, but down this neck of the woods (at least, back in late 70s!) that was the case.

cheers,
Andy

Was he American?

Rebate - From Middle English rebaten, to deduct - Has always applied to both end and long grain in my field and profession, rabbet has always signified Americanism to the word. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is that the procedure is recognised...bosshogg :)
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.
Albert Einstein (hammer)

Nope, it was a reference by the whole lot there - I had four or five tutors over three years, all British, all referring to the same terminology, but as I said, it may be a localisation.

cheers,
Andy

andy king":1bb3n95x said:
Nope, it was a reference by the whole lot there - I had four or five tutors over three years, all British, all referring to the same terminology, but as I said, it may be a localisation.

cheers,
Andy

George Elllis, Modern Practical Joinery 1908, only uses "rebating", but mentions that some call it "rabbiting", but also mentions that "rebate" is pronounced "rabbit".

Ellis was Vice President of the British Institute of Certified Carpenters, and Lecturer in Carpentry, Joinery and Hand Railing at the London County Council School of Building.

He was also (of course) the author of some books that were "the bible" for an extended period ;-)

BugBear

He also calls a face a face.
There are no "bibles" IMHO, they all give a partial view.

Jacob":159t6hc4 said:
Don't know abt the 50 but that's the idea with the 78 - you modify the spur as you want, and there are two extra blank ones on the clover leaf in case you run out of options.

Jacob":159t6hc4 said:
I'm beginning to think that the UK tradition of supplying unfinished tools is quite insane. Why do they do it?

BugBear

Will you two please, please stop fathing around with each other. Honestly, the pair of you remind me of Jack Lemon and Walter Matthau. And don't start the "he started it first" stuff. Both of you, if you can't co-exist on the same thread try ignoring one and other.

Please continue with the WW discussion.

OK WW proper answer
bugbear":3fto2kuu said:
Jacob":3fto2kuu said:
I'm beginning to think that the UK tradition of supplying unfinished tools is quite insane. Why do they do it?
If you stop posting antagonistic, self-contradictory nonsense, I'll stop gleefully pointing it out
That quotation was apropos saws supplied unsharpened or badly sharpened. This used to be normal as the assumption was that the buyer would do it. This has now changed and the majority of buyers want outa the box experiences. Saw sharpening is much more difficult than edge tools so maybe they are entitled to expect this in today's market. Not doing it is very uncompetitive.
Jacob":3fto2kuu said:
Don't know abt the 50 but that's the idea with the 78 - you modify the spur as you want, and there are two extra blank ones on the clover leaf in case you run out of options.
The 78 is not unfinished. The spur is good for softwood (if used as I describe above) but can be modified if necessary. I've never seen one with the two spares made use of, so this option isn't often used.

A good example of how selective quotations out of context can be used to completely misrepresent a point of view and waste a lot of time - me having to reply and you having to read it, and the 5 previous posts.

Back