Nobex mitre saw - blade jamming

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_T

Reaction score
Hi All,
Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have a Nobex Champion 180 manual mitre saw (bought new 25 years ago). It's still in very good condition but the blade often jams / sticks in the wood on both forward & backward strokes which is REALLY FRUSTRATING. Any suggestions to remedy this?
Thanks in advance.

I have a Nobex somewhere and found a problem holding the workpiece by hand. The piece had a tendency to slide on the bed. It only takes a small amount to have the blade jamming, especially when cutting mitres.
If it is not possible to add some sort of clamp, then a piece of fine sandpaper glued onto the bed, horizontal and vertical surfaces, might well help.
HTH. xy

From experience I'd also check and clean the sllts that guide the blade, they get gunged up with resin and dust and are difficult to keep clean, once done use ptfe spray, a non silicone type if you are gluing the joints you cut otherwise you'll need to sand tham.

I have one of the early pro models, late eighties if I remember when we were selling them at around £100 though I got it free for taking a bulk order. I broke the handle years ago but just cobbled up an old plastic handsaw handle which works fine, should really have made a wood one. :unsure:

I have the same saw, make sure the saw plate is lubricated, I found this helps greatly. Make sure you're doing long/full strokes so the waste is expelled and doesn't clog in the saw teeth. I also clamp the work to the vertical bit of the base.

To lubricate I use the Paul Sellers 'rag in a can' but you could just use any rag and some 3in1 oil. Good luck!

Ditto comments about silicone lube and long strokes of the blade - I don't use mine very often but I have an "extension platform" that I fit beside the saw bed to support the longer work piece, and use small clamps to attach work to the upright fence. Saw and extension are both clamped to the bench when in use.

Hi All,
Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have a Nobex Champion 180 manual mitre saw (bought new 25 years ago). It's still in very good condition but the blade often jams / sticks in the wood on both forward & backward strokes which is REALLY FRUSTRATING. Any suggestions to remedy this?
Thanks in advance.

I find a new blade always does the trick. I own a Nobex Proman. Bought new last year. Love it!

Hi Fellow Nobexers,
Thanks for all replies. Taking a closer look at my blades, they looked & felt sharp enough but they're a few years old so I've invested in new ones and this seems to have resolved the issue. It's easy to forget how long you've been using the same old saw blades. The PTFE spray suggestion sounds interesting - I'll try it on the slits (blade guides). Yes, long strokes back & forth are essential.
In case it's of interest, I've screwed my Nobex feet to a piece of wood which I then clamp onto my trusty 35-year old Black & Decker Workmate (on higher leg setting). I find the height is perfect - I'm 5'11" - and the saw remains solid (until the blade jams, which should now be resolved). For long lengths, I utilise a free-standing adjustable-height roller support stand which ensures good stability of the wood. The saw has inbuilt clamps which are sufficient to hold the workpiece.

Back