No table saw, am I missing out?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this self test go the whole hog, each time it's started ?
If it does, that'll bring a whole new dimension to what was
already an expensive hobby.
Not much sawing would get done, either. 😂 😂 :unsure:
:devilish:
Ha, the self test is just to check that its correctly armed and ready to pop.

It can self test as much as it wants to, but I bet it still won’t know the difference between wet wood aluminium or your finger.
Of course it can't it works on conductivity. If you know you are cutting something conductive (rare enough) then you disable it. As soon as the machine turns off it re enables the arming mechanism.

how wet does wood have to be to set it off?

I'm sure I saw a video of someone using one with exceedingly wet wood and it didn't go off as it wasn't conductive enough. It would probably have to be dripping.

The tech is only a good thing. It gets the usual "as yes BUT, now people will take more risks" from some people.

Naturally if the Felder solution works just as well without trashing an expensive blade and cartridge then even better.

One point that should be noted, but for some reason is overlooked is that if you contact the blade in an accident, it isnt going to be a slow steady approach. It is more likely it will be a fast impact.
so for a true test, the inventor, rather than gently touching the blade, should have punched it hard.

Im more than sure there wouldn't be a tiny nick in that instant, more likely a bit of a mess, plenty of claret, stitches to follow, but no missing fingers.

One point that should be noted, but for some reason is overlooked is that if you contact the blade in an accident, it isnt going to be a slow steady approach. It is more likely it will be a fast impact.
so for a true test, the inventor, rather than gently touching the blade, should have punched it hard.

Im more than sure there wouldn't be a tiny nick in that instant, more likely a bit of a mess, plenty of claret, stitches to follow, but no missing fingers.

Here you go, from about 4 mins in

I have seen a video with a high speed hotdog rather than one just slowly nudged forward. Still phenomenally impressive

EDIT: CURSE YOU DOUG! 😂

I at least found the right in point haha.

Though later in the video he shows just why you want to be wearing your specs. Carbide teeth came off the dado blade when it stopped. Fingers safe, just blinded.

Yeah I've seen that one. But I'd rather the inventor did it with a hand rather than a hotdog. The hotdog is too set up.
I have watched a number as i believe its such an excellent feature, but some of them as said are too set up, like dipping a hotdog in salty water before trying it.

Yeah I've seen that one. But I'd rather the inventor did it with a hand rather than a hotdog. The hotdog is too set up.
I have watched a number as i believe its such an excellent feature, but some of them as said are too set up, like dipping a hotdog in salty water before trying it.

Seen several actual fingers (including inventor) approaching slowly like the slow hotdogs and it does exactly the same thing. Anyone willingly throwing their hand at a blade at speed even with sawstop is certifiable.

Last edited:
Completely agree, but its what happens in the real world.

I think though for people over 50 it should be banned. The sudden shock of the blade disappearing with a bang, could set off a heart attack :LOL:

Found lying deceased on the floor of the workshop, no apparent cause.... :LOL:

Interesting about the sawstop....

Surely there is a moral obligation to liscence the tech to other companies....

Much like Volvo did with the seatbelts and mercedes with the airbag??

Just a though...

Cheers James

I can see this saw being involved in a you tube video in years to come when someone wants to impress there mates by puting a finger into a spining saw blade not knowing that the saw stop safety system has been disabled or is not working.

Just a though...

Cheers James
Tablesaws are nowhere near as ubiquitous as cars. Billions need a car every day.

Well that’s one good thing to come out of California! I certainly don’t want to have to pay to have one of those things on my saw when I know for a fact I will never need it, my hands are never anywhere near a spinning blade on a table saw, definite no argument, now my push sticks are cut to hell but that’s what they’re there for – simple. Ian

Just a though...

Cheers James

The company was started by an attorney who then lobbied to have the technology made required by law, at least as I recall.

Probably the most versatile machine in any shop. The good ones, at least.
Dust collection can be an issue.

Best thing I ever did for workshop safety? A near miss where i cut an angled piece off of the top of my left forefinger with a mitre saw.
Very painful (imagine hitting the top of your finger as hard as you can with a hammer) and needed an operation the next day and a week off work, but I kept full feeling and use of that finger. I have a notch out of it alongside the nail bed!
Trust me when I say my hands are NEVER close to fast, sharp spinning things now, and when not in use every tool is unplugged.

Trust me when I say my hands are NEVER close to fast, sharp spinning things now, and when not in use every tool is unplugged.
Sometimes thats what happens for a big wake up call, and with the spinning blade of destruction you were really lucky. And from that lesson learned and complacency will never raise it's ugly head again.
My lucky cut was abit more serious @24 stitches and a misshapen index finger, but buggered if im ever going to be in that situation again :LOL:

I'm getting into woodworking and planning a workshop. It will hopefully be 5m x 3m. What size tablesaw would work well in that space? I definitely don't want a site saw. I was looking at the Laguna Fusion 2 but at 1.7m wide I think that I'd just end up tripping over it all the time.

Any smaller alternatives of suitable quality?

I'm getting into woodworking and planning a workshop. It will hopefully be 5m x 3m. What size tablesaw would work well in that space? I definitely don't want a site saw. I was looking at the Laguna Fusion 2 but at 1.7m wide I think that I'd just end up tripping over it all the time.

Does it have to be something new?

All depends on what you want from it and how you plan on incorporating it. I've seen plenty of people put even a large saw like the F2 into a large workbench so you work around it.

You can get cast iron topped ones that are only say 600x600 square and just add extra wings later if you want them.

Saying that, plenty of people do things much nicer than me with a dewalt site saw.

Back