No subject

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a picture to start a post. They normally end up somewhere interesting...(eventually).

original.jpg

First plane I've ever taken to bits.

Adam

waterhead37":yvb8ge2m said:
Adam,

I am looking forward to our very own UKW how-to on fettling and tuning.. lots of pics please.

Not from me. I dismanteled it, rubbed the frog to get the rust off (along with the reference surfaces on the plane), sharpened the blade and reassembled it. I use it for "rough" work. Should I have done anything else?

Adam

Sharpen the blade, and if needed flatten the sole. Many older planes had a flat bottom once, but through use and abuse they need to be done again. I use a belt sander to start, then work my way up the grits until I get a nice flat smooth bottom. The smoother the better. Takes less effort to use that way. I end up using 8000 grit paper, and when i can get it 10,000. You can see your face in the bottom :D

Adam

Looks like its seen better days, but what the heck if it works what difference does it make.

Chris":2nla5ac9 said:
I am looking forward to our very own UKW how-to on fettling and tuning.. lots of pics please.

Do we have a volunteer here Chris :wink: :wink:

Adam":2bege1p3 said:
Should I have done anything else?

Adam
I must confess to being a "lifeboatman" when it comes to run-of-the-mill planes (I presume that's a standard 1960's Bailey). I take off the totes and smear the whole lot with paint stripper, which usually cleans up the brassware too. I shine up the the exposed base casting edges and repaint with Humbrol and an artist's flat brush - with Record I mix blue and a dash of black to get the right colour. Blades and caps take a nice finish from a random orbit using red 600 grit. Then I refinish the totes and reassemble. This pre-war SS I used for a while so it got a few knocks, but I generally sold them all for a considerable profit. :wink: Naturally it would ruin the collectable value of a rarity.
record5.gif

Alf":uuz7ush3 said:
Waka":uuz7ush3 said:
Chris":uuz7ush3 said:

Seconded!

<sits back in anticipation>

Cheers, Alf

You may have to wait a while - all my planes are of course already tuned and fettled to perfection :wink:

waterhead37":2rwlf8wy said:
Alf":2rwlf8wy said:
Waka":2rwlf8wy said:
Chris":2rwlf8wy said:

Seconded!

<sits back in anticipation>

Cheers, Alf

You may have to wait a while - all my planes are of course already tuned and fettled to perfection :wink:

Maybe we coukld send you one form the Dorchester boot sale :wink: :wink:

Waka, what a good idea!...
Chris, I do have one or two old bones you could practise on while waiting for your saw set to arrive (not forgotten!)
Regards
Martin

having found one of these last year, i have long wondered who made them and when and how you identify them.

mine is a bailey 4 1/2 in black but no other identification. how do you know?

and boy do they collect crud behind the blade in the frog.

i will try to make mine work too.
paul

Alf":287ianxh said:
Chris, say the word and I can bring something with me tomorrow... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf, that is extremely generous, however I think I shall pass on this opportunity :wink: my tuit list is just too long at present.

engineer one":pm1fpix6 said:
mine is a bailey 4 1/2 in black but no other identification. how do you know?

Paul, Books, old catalogues, websites and more books! Bailey is an American pattern which I believe was owned by Stanley but passed into the public domain, and was copied by Record and others at the start of the 20th century. As far as I know Stanley were the only ones to cast "Bailey" in the base - unless anyone else knows better. They almost all have the maker's name cast in the lever cap and blade, but being almost interchangeable you often find marriages of parts. Stanley's more rigid pattern was Bedrock which is also used by Lie Nielsen and Clifton, where the frog can be adjusted with the blade in place.

Since the thread was untitled anyway, I was wondering if anyone hereabouts knows much or anything of a German company called ESTE. I have a no 4 plane made by said company that I got for next to nothing at an auction sale, I didn't need it but I couldn't just let it go for a dollar so I bid $2, and I got it.

Hope this posts OK. I was posted on Woodnet sometime back.

Stanley Plane Dating Flowchart How many patent
dates are cast
into bed?
| 0 Yes Yes
|---> Is raised ring cast into -> Is bed painted blue? -------------> Type 20 1962- 67
| bed as receiver for knob? |
| | | No
| | No | No
| | Do toe and heel have a raised,----> Type 15 1931- 32
| Is plane number broad, flat rib casting?
| (i. e., No. 4) |
| cast into bed? | Yes
| | | | Yes
| | Yes | No Is "STANLEY" printed vertically --> Type 19 1948- 61
| | | on lateral adjustment lever?
| | | |
| | | | No
| | | | Yes
| | | Does depth adjustment nut have ---> Type 18 1946- 47
| | | a diagonal knurling on it?
| | | |
| | Is lever | No
| | cap back |
| | recessed? Does plane have wartime Yes --> Type 17 1942- 45
| | | | features (handle and knob No ---> Type 16 1933- 41
| | | | stained red or painted
| How many | Yes | No black, depth adj. nut
| patent dates | | made of steel or hard rubber,
| appear on | | heavier bottom castings)
| lateral | |
| adjustment | ------> Is depth adj. nut stamped No ----> Type 1 1867- 69
| lever? | "BAILEY'S PATENT"...? Yes ---> Type 2 1869- 72
| | |
| | -------------> Is frog receiver a broad No ----> Type 3 1872- 73
| | rectangular area with Yes ---> Type 4 1874- 84
| | arched rear (toward tote)?
| |---------------------> Does "STANLEY" appear on No ----> Type 4- 5
| | lateral adj. lever? Yes ---> Type 8- 9
| |----------------------------------------------------------> Type 8 1899- 02
| |
| |----------------------------------------------------------> Type 5 1885- 88

Best source I know for Stanley and Bailey tools:
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

Alf":v9hcd52b said:
Mittlefehldt, three-quarters of the way down this page. Google's translation is just about comprehensible...

Thanks for pointing to my site, Alf. The information about the German company Schmachtenberg & Türck (trademark ESTE) is on this page:
http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/herstel ... achtenberg
They obviously made iron planes, but I only knew of circular planes (#113 clones). It's nice to hear they made #4s also. I would be interested to see pictures of this plane, Mittlefehldt. Is there anything unusual about the depth adjuster? The company held a patent for one.

Wolfgang

Regrettably the last person in my family to speak German died in 1926.

However the plane in question is 23.5cm/9.125 inches long, 6 cm/2.375 inches wide with a 5 cm/1.875 inches blade. Este is stamped into the cap which is secured to the chip breaker with a screw cap, and there is a gold stick on label, on top of the tote which has S&T in script and Made In Germany.

The tote and front knob are painted red while the japaning is a dark blue colour and there is a No 4 cast into the bas behind the front knob, which is quite tall.

The depth adjuster looks like a normal Stanley type I believe, with a lot of play between directions.
I will try and get my technical expert to do some pictures and post them for your viewing.

EDIT: the depth adjuster appears to be almost identical to a Stanly Handyman plane I happen to have, except the brass knob on the Este is a bit smaller, otherwise looks identical

I have attached three pictures of the plane.
IMG_7977.JPG

IMG_7979.JPG

IMG_7982.JPG

Latest posts

Back