No slack in electric sockets - what's the trick?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to run some 2.5mm T+E in 16x25mm trunking, with a double socket every 3ft or so.

The cable runs from socket to socket in trunking, so it's not like I've got anywhere to take up the slack so it makes actually wiring the socket easier.

Is there a trade trick for doing this when there's no space for slack?

The grey outer sheath stops as soon as its inside the box. The remaining T+E are left long enough to go to the opposite end of the box and back to the socket connections.

Leave long tails in each socket back box, strip the external insulation right back to where the cable enters the back box and then twist the over-length inner cables into a bit of a loop when you screw the socket front to the back box. So essentially all the slack is within the back boxes not within the trucking.

I am not an electrician....

If its all inside trunking, why are you using flat twin and earth?

Buy single strand wire, its much cheaper, easier to adjust the length of tails just by pushing the individual wires back into the trunking. Tape the three ends together to allow you to push the wires through to the next box.

Back