Quantcast

No on-site notifications

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

guineafowl21

Established Member
Reaction score
Usually on forums there’s a little bubble that pops up in the corner to show you have replies to your threads. There isn’t one on UKW on my system (iPad Safari). I have to manually find the thread to check.

Is this a fault or by design? It’s a nuisance.

Many thanks

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
When you post, you can tick (or untick, depending on your default preference), the option to be notified of a post. You will receive an email telling you, even if you are not on ukw at the time.
That might help

guineafowl21

Established Member
Reaction score
Many thanks. The email notifications are variously put into Junk or lost by me, but most do get through.

It would be much better to have the bubble notification at the top. In fact, I don’t know of another forum that doesn’t have these.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I'm on 3 forums and none of them have that. The only place I see that is hotmail.
If an email goes to junk, all you have to do is mark it as not junk and then they will always go into your inbox.

guineafowl21

Established Member
Reaction score
That’s odd! I’m on 3 other forums and they all have that.

I keep marking the emails as not junk, and they keep getting sent there after a variable amount of time.

It’s much easier to keep track of multiple threads with the bubble notification, not having to switch between email and browser for each one.

Anyway, seeing that it’s not a fault, please consider it as a suggestion.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
In the User Control Panel you can choose whether notifications come as emails or Private Messages. If you swap to PMs, and if you have Pop-ups enabled in your browser, you should get a pop-up on each visit to the forum, if you have notifications.

This may or may not be more like what you are asking for.

But overall I think it's fair to say that the content and community motivate us regular contributors to keep going, despite the quirks of the forum software.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
I have never seen your bubble either on any forum, to gain by that you have to visit the forum so I don't see it as a useful feature myself

The part I don't understand in this forum is why when you reply to a post, the default isn't "notify me when a reply is posted" , you have to remember to tick it, which of course, often you don't

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
Whatknot, if you go to Board Preferences on your account settings, at the bottom,(IIRC), you can set the default to notify you, rather than not.
HTH
Greg

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
Well there you go, only joined three years ago ;-)

Many thanks for that

I also notice in the same board preferences is a tick box for "bubble notifications" is that what the OP wanted ???

guineafowl21

Established Member
Reaction score
AndyT":23n5naev said:
In the User Control Panel you can choose whether notifications come as emails or Private Messages. If you swap to PMs, and if you have Pop-ups enabled in your browser, you should get a pop-up on each visit to the forum, if you have notifications.

But overall I think it's fair to say that the content and community motivate us regular contributors to keep going, despite the quirks of the forum software.
As far as I can see, you can only get notified by PM if you get thanked, and have that pop up.

guineafowl21

Established Member
Reaction score
AndyT":2p9epugs said:

Again, as far as I can see, you can only get notified of a ‘thanks’ by PM, then have that pop up.

On the other forums, the bubble comes up as a number. Click that, and you get a little list of links:
“User A replied the thread B” - you can click that and go straight there.

“User A quoted your post on thread B” - as above.

“User A tagged you in thread B” - so you know you have a direct reply/question.

“User A thanked/liked your post in thread B” - you don’t have to click to see the rating, but at least you know someone’s read (and appreciated) your post.

It’s all in one place. I find that (perhaps because I’m used to it) much more easy to keep track of multiple threads, rather than swapping between emails (which often get lost) and browser. Others might find the same, or if not, turn off the feature.

guineafowl21

Established Member
Reaction score
whatknot":omtr9n53 said:
Well there you go, only joined three years ago ;-)

Many thanks for that

I also notice in the same board preferences is a tick box for "bubble notifications" is that what the OP wanted ???
That’s only for PMs.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Bubble notification only for PMs (if enabled).
email notifications only for threads you are following.

Any and all 'software' adjustments are available in your user control panel and the mods have no access to anything else apart from them.

Thats just the way it is I'm afraid.

p.s. simply adding the email notification address - charley@ukworkshop.co.uk - to your whitelist will prevent it from ending in the spam box.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
Err no, after the advice it was there I went to :-

My account (name)

Control Panel

Board preferences

On the left "Edit posting defaults"

4th option "Notify me upon replies by default"

I tested it after by going to a post I had not replied to previously and the default was already selected "Notify me when a reply is posted"

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting as it is to compare, we're not in a position to change anything.

As far as I can see, Charlie the site owner is hands-off these days, except for major updates when the bulletin board software is about to go out of support.

DBT85

Established Member
Reaction score
Is that lack of attention part of the reason that the other forum was started in the first place?

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
When I first joined this forum, there was something next to the thread title that indicated I had participated in the thread. I can't remember if it was a black dot, or something else, but it was easy to scroll down the page of unread posts to see if I had posted anything in the thread.

At some point, that feature disappeared. Every other discussion board I am a member of has some indicator for threads where I made a post; however, most of these discussion boards use Xenforo or vBulletin software.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
The problem appears to lie with Hotmail email accounts.

Hotmail is not passing UKW auto responses through, or treating them as spam when delivered.

Admin have been made aware of the problem.

Latest posts